starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've struggled a lot with getting my squat right, figured I could keep the trend going with form checks and see if another set of eyes could help me out with it. A few small things I see but I'm not sure how to best fix them or if I even can.

Is that as high as that squat stand will go? Need to get the wrists straight. Palms in contact with the bar, not draped over like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Is that as high as that squat stand will go? Need to get the wrists straight. Palms in contact with the bar, not draped over like that.
    Yeah, I've felt that tendency for a long time with the bar getting heavy. The problem I have with the grip is the bar feels like it's gonna roll forward on the descent if I don't keep a solid hold on it. That's why the hands curl over the bar as I go down. Thankfully no elbow issues manifesting. The rack can go higher but I've never felt any trouble getting it out of the lower position. I alternate sets with my girlfriend so I just keep it there since that's a comfortable height for her. How about the stance? That look alright? I recently tweaked it a little wider than I had it, wasn't sure if it was too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    The problem I have with the grip is the bar feels like it's gonna roll forward on the descent if I don't keep a solid hold on it.
    Pete (i think) posted a squat grip article 3 days ago that to me looks like it might help you with this - it helped me too.

Yeah, I've felt that tendency for a long time with the bar getting heavy. The problem I have with the grip is the bar feels like it's gonna roll forward on the descent if I don't keep a solid hold on it. That's why the hands curl over the bar as I go down. Thankfully no elbow issues manifesting. The rack can go higher but I've never felt any trouble getting it out of the lower position. I alternate sets with my girlfriend so I just keep it there since that's a comfortable height for her. How about the stance? That look alright? I recently tweaked it a little wider than I had it, wasn't sure if it was too wide.
    The sooner you get out of the habit of draping the hands over and unracking from a lower position the better! Here is the grip article:

Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

The stance is tough to tell from the high camera angle. If you film lower and more towards the back it will be easier to tell

Sadly I can't get it from much further back than that, there's a concrete wall running a few feet behind me. I understand fixing the grip, but what problems does the lower position really cause? I figured it just demanded a little extra effort to get it up out of there.

It can cause Golfer's Elbow in a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It can cause Golfer's Elbow in a short period of time.
    The low rack position or the grip issue? I know the grip issue causes problems, I actually used to have them. Don't know why it went away.

The low rack position or the grip issue?
    Any time you allow the bar to do anything other than sit securely in place in a nice tight shelf on your back during a heavy set of squats you open up the door for elbow tendonitis. Wrists not being straight and unracking from a lower height could both contribute to this due to the possibility of excess movement

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I went with a higher rack yesterday. Still had the wrist curling over the bar on the first set. I tried using my belt on the second and third and that seems to have stabilized the back better or something, no bar roll and so no wrist curling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast