starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Coming back from a long time off and bad habits. I am re-starting strength, need to check form for squat, please advice.
    H: 5'4"
    W:180

Lifts since re-starting>
    S: 205
    BP: 125
    P: 70
    DL: 235

205 lbs Squat - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Your breath is raising your ribs and expanding your belly. Try and take one that enables you to bear down on your abs and keep your back flat. Your descent has your balance too far back on your heels. As your lean at your hips, your knees must also go forward to about over your toes. So, think hips and knees together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Your breath is raising your ribs and expanding your belly. Try and take one that enables you to bear down on your abs and keep your back flat. Your descent has your balance too far back on your heels. As your lean at your hips, your knees must also go forward to about over your toes. So, think hips and knees together.
    I attempted to get my knees past my shoes about over my toes, my squat gets all messed up. I start doing what i did a long time ago here:
    176 x 5 3rd set - YouTube

I attempted to push as much as i can without compromising depth and back, this is what i came up with. Not sure if it is my anthropometry. I did follow the breath without raising my ribs but expanding my belly.
    210 lbs Squat - YouTube

What I feel on the descent on this last set is that I do feel better about the balance of the weight on my feet, feels a bit more centric than my previous video where I did feel the weight trying to push me back a bit more.

In the long time ago video you aren't also leaning over at your hips, so that is the problem there. In the new video you just posted your knees still aren't getting forward enough. You need the knees forward of the long time ago video with the hip lean of this video. Practice with moderate weight while descending slower than normal to make sure you feel the pieces working together.

In the long time ago video you aren't also leaning over at your hips, so that is the problem there. In the new video you just posted your knees still aren't getting forward enough. You need the knees forward of the long time ago video with the hip lean of this video. Practice with moderate weight while descending slower than normal to make sure you feel the pieces working together.
    Alright, I spent pretty much my entire workout trying the squat and videotaping me to see what was I supposed to look and feel like if I pushed those knees forward while not doing what I did on the first video. Several reps later, I tried 200 lbs with the end result.

200 lbs with corrections - YouTube

Let me know if that is more like it.

Thanks!

Also, wanted to add a video of me trying to accommodate the bar and knees forward as much as I could, the weight is so much lower so I could do this.

Trying to accomodate knees forward - YouTube

While filming I felt like the weight shifted too much over the midfoot. If the last set that I did on the previous post is still not good. I am wondering if I am just build differently and fall under the Figure 2-45 of the starting strength book about anthropometry. Where in one of the pictures the knee does not about 1 inch forward from the shoes, but still maintains depth, tight back and mid foot for the weight.

Thanks!

The first rep in the first video is the best, but then as the set goes on you are shifting back into the knees not getting forward position. You're also going so fast on the way down here that it's going to be hard to feel the positions. Slow it down. Also, drive your butt UP not back when coming up from the bottom of each rep.

In the second video, rep 1, look at where your knees end up in the bottom position and then look at how long it takes them to get there. You can see that they hardly move forward toward that position at all during the first half of the rep. See rep 1 of first video for how much better it is.

The first rep in the first video is the best, but then as the set goes on you are shifting back into the knees not getting forward position. You're also going so fast on the way down here that it's going to be hard to feel the positions. Slow it down. Also, drive your butt UP not back when coming up from the bottom of each rep.

In the second video, rep 1, look at where your knees end up in the bottom position and then look at how long it takes them to get there. You can see that they hardly move forward toward that position at all during the first half of the rep. See rep 1 of first video for how much better it is.
    Thank you so much for the response. I will work on mimicking the first rep of the first video. The rep 1 of the second video although the knees look good, the weight on the bar shifted so much forward I lost balance, you can even see my left leg moves a bit due to the weight being so far up front, and that was only 75 lbs. I will post new video trying more of what I did on first video rep 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahir Estrada View Post
    Thank you so much for the response. I will work on mimicking the first rep of the first video. The rep 1 of the second video although the knees look good, the weight on the bar shifted so much forward I lost balance, you can even see my left leg moves a bit due to the weight being so far up front, and that was only 75 lbs. I will post new video trying more of what I did on first video rep 1.
    Here is my Last set on Friday.
    210lbs - more corrections - YouTube

Hopefully is a lot more in line with how it is supposed to look.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    We are a bit beyond a form check at this point with all these posts. Would be good to seek out some coaching services if you want to dial things in further.