starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check, please! (missing reps all of a sudden)

Default Deadlift form check, please! (missing reps all of a sudden)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I would like a form check, please, and some advice on why I am missing my 4th and 5th reps.

Some problems:

(1) My lower back starts to round somewhere from the 3rd/4th rep; quite visible in Set 2.

(2) I definitely missed my 4th and 5th rep in Set 2; possibly even the 3rd rep. I couldn't get a decent lockout, because it felt like the bar was going to fall off from my hands (and it did in the 5th rep - Set 2). I did not feel the weight was too much to lift, just that I couldn't hold on to it long enough to get a proper lockout. My head was pointing up in my 5th rep of Set 2.

I had about a two week gap between my workout sessions for some unavoidable reasons. Last I did DLs was on Sept 24 (225 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets). This was on Oct 10 (235 lbs x 5 reps x 2 sets). I don't know if the gap contributed to the weakness or something. This is embarrassing and disappointing. 235 lbs is a warm up set for many of you. And it shouldn't be this hard. It was very frustrating, I didn't feel like doing any other exercises. I kept doing DLs by lowering the weight, and still had trouble holding on to the bar. I was thinking I would get to 315 lbs by end of December; and now I can't finish my 235 lbs.

And I weigh 200 lbs.

Set 1: 235 lbs x 5 reps - back angle

New video - YouTube

Set 2: 235 lbs x 5 reps (missed reps) - front angle

New video1 - YouTube

Any advice? Should I do 235 lbs for a few more sessions?

Two weeks off may have a little to do with it.
    Are you hook gripping? Using chalk? Grip is part of your problem, but not the only part. These don't look that heavy for you. Need to address the grip situation.
    The other issue is that you're really not setting your back. It looks flat, but you're not setting it tight and getting all of the slack out of the system first, so that's why it immediately starts to round when you break it off the floor. When you lift the chest to set the back, it should feel like your arms are going to rip from the shoulders. The bar should bend upward. On lighter warm ups, the bar may actually float off the ground just from lifting the chest to set the back. There's a video on our YouTube channel about this that you can find simply by searching "slack" on our channel.
    Fix those two things for now, and you should be fine to hit your goal of 315 for December. Why are you doing two sets of 5?

I think Pete may mean this link?
    Squeezing the bar off the floor | On the Platform - YouTube
    Really useful clip

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Are you hook gripping? Using chalk?
    Oh, no, I haven't tried the hook grip or some chalk. I will get some chalk with me next time, my gym doesn't have any. And I don't know if this is how the bars are supposed to be, but my index and middle finger are always outside the knurling. If I widen my grip to get all my fingers over the knurling, then my elbows don't touch my knees and I don't feel tight to lift.

The other issue is that you're really not setting your back. It looks flat, but you're not setting it tight and getting all of the slack out of the system first, so that's why it immediately starts to round when you break it off the floor. When you lift the chest to set the back, it should feel like your arms are going to rip from the shoulders. The bar should bend upward. On lighter warm ups, the bar may actually float off the ground just from lifting the chest to set the back. There's a video on our YouTube channel about this that you can find simply by searching "slack" on our channel.
    Fix those two things for now, and you should be fine to hit your goal of 315 for December.
    Thanks for the advice Pete, and the video was helpful. I will post an update video after my next DL session.

Why are you doing two sets of 5?
    I am following the LP in SS (increasing the weight by 5 lbs or 10 lbs every workout session), but I am not able to follow the program fully due to COVID19 arrangements. In my gym, workout sessions have to be booked 3 days in advance and are restricted to 60 or 75 mins (e.g., 5pm - 6:15pm, 7pm - 8pm). And one person is not allowed in the same designated workout zone for more than 30 mins. My Squats and DLs take 30 - 40 mins each including warm-ups, and the Bench Press and OH Press take around 20 mins. So basically, I can have the squat rack/DL platform for only 30 min each session, which means I can either do squats or DLs in that platform. So I am forced to do something like [Squat + Bench + etc.] and [DL + OHP + etc.]. Sometimes I book a session, come to the gym and see that no racks/platforms are available. Sometimes I can't book a session because they are all filled up.

Right now, I am compensating for the lost DL sessions which I can't make room for (trying to maintain at least 15 reps per week). So I do something like this: Wednesday (DL 2 sets 5 reps + Bench/OHP), Saturday (DL 1 set 5 reps + Bench/OHP). Squats on other 2 days.

Exclamation

Hi Pete,

I could really use some help. I did DLs today and had the same problem. I only did one set today and couldn't even do the 5th rep. It felt more like my fingers were being pulled open by the weight - don't know if grip is the issue or that my forearms are weak.

I don't know I am really frustrated; I waited the whole day for this session. I did fewer warm-up reps (5 with the bar, 5 at 135, 3 at 205, 1 at 235, and then my work-set) so I would have enough energy for my work-set at 240 lbs. At the very first rep of 240 lbs I felt some cracks in my lower back. It does feel a little numb now. I know I rushed it; should have done may be more warm-up. Like I was really looking to get good 5 reps. I am really clueless. I know that I am supposed to be increasing the weight every session, but I can't even get 235 or 240 right.

It ruined my whole workout today, and I didn't get anything done. I just didn't feel like doing anything else.

Video (4 reps at 240 lbs)

I tried setting my back and feeling heavy on my hands right before pushing the ground. But lower back still seems to round. What am I doing wrong? Any advice on how make progress? Should I repeat 235 lbs? If so, for how many sessions?

Why are you doing multiple sets?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post

I tried setting my back and feeling heavy on my hands right before pushing the ground. But lower back still seems to round. What am I doing wrong? Any advice on how make progress? Should I repeat 235 lbs? If so, for how many sessions?
    Not a SSC.

It doesn't look to me like you're setting the low back. You're dropping the hips and knocking the bar forward with your shins. Also, slow the video of your first rep down. Watch how much your hips shoot up before you even put tension on the bar. Maybe learning how to cue the lower back as Nick D explains in this video would help: Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift with Nick Delgadillo - YouTube

Also, pulling the weight will often lead you to shift balance to your heels, and you can see that happen when your toes leave the ground at the top of the rep. In one of the reps, it looks like you even roll onto the outer part of your foot/ankle. Instead, while keeping the back in rigid extension, just push the earth away through the middle of the foot.

One other thing... I don't have a clue about different types of lifting shoes, but are those Nikes lifting shoes or sneakers?