starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

I would appreciate any help regarding my deadlift form. Yesterday I deadlifted 140KG which actually felt pretty easy. However, what I've noticed and this is always the case, is that my second and third reps felt and moved better than my first rep.

16 October 2020 - YouTube
    I had trouble attaching the video, so hopefully this is working ok.

After observing the video, I can see clearly that my first rep is done with higher hips and I slightly drop my hips on the subsequent reps. I can see the bar moving forward slightly. I can fix this no problem. However the thing I also noticed is that my back appears to be more arched on my first rep, while its flat on the subsequent.

At the start of every set I am trying to squeeze my chest up while simultaneously dropping my belly between my legs. Am I hyper extending by back on the first rep? Perhaps my bracing is off on the first rep? I'm really puzzled how this is happening.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

You may be overthinking things a bit. Yes you are dropping your hips slightly. Keep them up. The weight is easy. Keep going up

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You may be overthinking things a bit. Yes you are dropping your hips slightly. Keep them up. The weight is easy. Keep going up
    Yes I can definitely overthink things, thanks for the reply Ryan. I guess it just want to iron out any issues now so that when I do work up to heavier weight, I'm not missing reps because of my first rep not being optimal. I'm definitely going up, no doubt about it.