starting strength gym

Thread: OHP - Overhead Press Form Check - Stalling 2 weeks straight at 150 lbs

Question OHP - Overhead Press Form Check - Stalling 2 weeks straight at 150 lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This video is my 4th set of 4. Past two press workouts I was able to get 5 on the first set, but only 4 thereafter. Stuck at 150 lbs.
    I know I can do 5 reps, but I'm pretty positive my programming may need a change as well. This is only my 4th week of SS, but I feel stalled here. Thank

OHP form check - YouTube

If you are doing more that 3 sets of presses 4 weeks into the program, you are not doing the program. Did you read the blue book? Also, The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Your form here is hard to assess from the side. But you are definitely calf riding the bar up and pushing it away/around your face instead of back and up.

Thank you for the response.

I'm doing OHP on an A/B split with the bench press. I just meant to say the past three OHP workouts.

The first week at 150 lbs, I got 5,5,4 reps. So I was only one rep shy on the third set. The next workout I tried 153 lbs, but only got 4 reps on the first set. Should I go back down to something like 146 lbs and work up in 1-2 pound increments?

You likely start too heavy and then form wasn't dialed in enough. Reset your weight down and post to the technique forum for a form check (read the sticky first). Then as you build back up don't stay with 5lb jumps very long (use 2.5lb jumps) and make sure you are monitoring the 3 questions (previous post).

roger that. Thank you again!