starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Set at 280x5. In the video, I'm not sure if my back is fully in extension. I've noticed when recording my beltless warmup sets, my back looks more in extension. I've been doing superman drills and cat-cow stretches to work on getting into extension. Can the belt and extra-abdominal pressure affect the back's ability to get into an extended position? Perhaps my belt is too tight - not sure. Or maybe I'm lazy with my setup because I'm a little fatigued. Also, I lost a bit of discipline with exhaling at the top which I'm aware that I shouldn't do.
    Weight 196
    Here is 280x5

Here are practice sets at 225 of my beltless extension.

1) Its usually the 4in belt that messes with back extension so you probably just need to get used to it a little more. Try one hole looser.
    2) Don't exhale at the top
    3) Do all the reps continuous - stepping away in between reps is just part of the teaching method. Continuing to do it will just fatigue you as you may have noticed.

Thanks! I'll keep these in mind and record my set on Friday while working on getting into extension.

I'm no coach but I'll try to give some feedback. It looks to me like you are trying to pull the bar with your arms at the end of the movement when you reach mid thigh, and mabye you are a bit too close to the bar which could be the reason for not being able to keep the low back more rigid(?)

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I'm no coach but I'll try to give some feedback. It looks to me like you are trying to pull the bar with your arms at the end of the movement when you reach mid thigh, and mabye you are a bit too close to the bar which could be the reason for not being able to keep the low back more rigid(?)
    Shoot me an email when you get a chance: hayden@scienceforfitness.com