starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I'm a 5'6" - 215lbs - 44 year old male. Current lifts are Squat 250lbs 3x5, Deadlift 290lbs 1x5, Seated OHP (low ceiling) 92.5lbs 3x5 and Bench 152.5 3x5.

At the top of 2018 I was 270lbs. I made a big change and lost approx 80lbs through diet and a rower. About a year ago I started strength training but only got about 4 months in before lock down happened. Went back to rowing, push ups etc. Made the investment to get a set up at home, and I'm back at it. This is the second set at 250lbs. I ended in March squating 260lbs, so I'm almost back where I left off. Feels a bit easier this time.

Trying to focus on keeping my upper back tight, bracing, to push through to more weight on the bar. Thanks in advance for any tips. These forums have been and amazing resource.

Allan in Toronto Ontario Canada.

Squat 2ndset 250lbs - YouTube

The bar looks a bit high making it more of a high bar position, but not quite all the way high bar. This will force you to be less leaned over to balance the bar. Part of it is one side seems to be a bit tighter and thus resisting the position. Also, once you get under your elbows drive up a bit which pushes the bar up a bit as well. Consider taking a slightly wider grip. Check this video out for proper bar placement: Where to Put the Bar for the Squat with Nick Delgadillo - YouTube. And cycle these stretches in if you haven't been: Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube I would also take a slightly wider stance to help you get depth more consistently.

All but one of these squats are high.

Thank you both for your feedback.

In my session today I warmed up to working sets at 210lbs. Attempting to incorporate your suggestions and depth. I took a slightly wider stance that I think allowed me to hit depth consistently. I worked the shoulder stretch and took a substantially wider grip to get the bar lower on my back. It felt a little awkward and I am dipping on my left side a bit and I'm not sure why. After the session I felt the stretch and tightness down the side of my arms between shoulder and elbow? I had to give myself a good few minutes before starting my bench work.

If you could have a quick look at these and let me know if this is a better place to work from? I'll continue to work on shoulder mobility to get bar placement solid and a bit more comfortable.

Second set: 2nd set 210lbs - YouTube

3rd set: 3rd set 210 - YouTube

Very much appreciate your expert eyes and advice.

Allan

Depth is good now.