starting strength gym

Thread: [Squat Form Check] Crippling Adductor tendon pain

Default [Squat Form Check] Crippling Adductor tendon pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a novice programmer weighing 65kg. I started lifting 6 months ago. Last month I went through pain in the left lower hips. This was due my back not being in extension. I corrected my form and restarted the program . Being able to keep my back tight helped a lot.

A couple of days ago, I was squatting 60kg and I experienced a sharp pain in my left adductor tendon, in the groin area at the bottom of the squat, while coming back up. In my next session, the pain had increased a bit. I could do warmups with slight difficulty but I couldn’t go deep in my work set. The following video shows this.

In the next session, it got so painful that I couldn’t even do my warmups properly. I tried narrowing my stance and reducing the angle between my feet. They seemed to help without the bar but not with the bar. I also tried massaging the adductor muscle but it only gives temporary releif. In the same session, I felt pain in the middle of my left foot during 90kg deadlift. It might be unrelated though. I suspect all these issues in my left hip to foot are related somehow.

The video of the session before I hurt my adductor for reference

You are squatting above parallel with knees caving in and back hyperextended at the start. I would start there. Probably a good time to reread the squat chapter of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company.

Thank you for your feedback. I will reread the squat chapter. Could you be more specific about the knees? I realize I am not going deeper even in the pre-injury video, but for now, I want to focus on working out with the pain and not let it sabotage my training. Any suggestions regarding that?

You won't be training in the proper sense if you are doing quarter squats with your knees caving in. That's also just not recommended in general (see the blue book). Take a few days off and then start up with high rep sets using the empty (10s-20s) bar to see how it feels.