starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check 22/10/20

Default Deadlift form check 22/10/20

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I've started following your starting strength program recently and I'm currently practicing the deadlift form before I could go up the weights.

A few comments:
    1. I know this is not the optimal height to lift from (and maybe thats why I think I can't arch my back more then what I'm arching) but my working area setup is temporaty as I should have the power rack and deadlift platform soon enough
    2. I currently use an 8 kilo barbell and I'm lifting in these videos 20.5 klilos, might buy the 20.5 kilo barbell up the road as this one can "only" weight 120 kilo max
    3. I'm filming without a shirt so you can see my back well

On video 1 I'm follwing your deadlift guide:
    -I'm standing 1 inch from the barbell and so that the barbell is on my middle of my foot with a 10 degree angle with my legs
    - With stiff knees without dropping my hips I'm gripping the barbell in a way they're not touching my legs and without moving the barbell
    - I'm bringing my knees forward so they touch the babell again without moving the babell
    - I spread my knees out so they touch my hands
    - All of the above without dropping my hips I squeeze my chest out as much as I can (at least it feels like that), take a big breath and drag the barbell up my legs untill I'm standing tall with chest out (am I standing straight enough or I need to bring my hips forward?)
    -I bring the barbell down in the same manner I went up untill the babell passes my legs and then I allow myself to bend my knees as you said (did I ruin my chest angle too much when I went down or did anything else wrong while putting down the barbell?)

After that my friend told me I don't bend the back enough and he told me I should lift from more below (bring down my hips) so I can arch my back more like all these olympic lifters and others, so we made a 2nd video with the way he told me, and he said my back is still not bent enough but better than video 1. (which I know is not the proper way to lift according to you)

My questions are:
    1. Is my form good and my back is arched enough on video 1 or 2 and if not what can I do to make it better? I also dropped my belly between my legs in video 1 in order to try and arch more as I've seen this tip in one of your videos explained by a coach of yours.

Video 1: Deadlift form by the book - YouTube
    Video 2: second deadlift back form - YouTube

Thank you for your time.

The weight is too light and the setup is too different from what you'll be using to really gain much from this. I would just wait until you have the proper equipment to start the program

Whats too light about it? book says to practice form well on an empty 20.5 kilo bar before going up, this is what im doing, practicing form with 20.5 kilo. only thing im trying to gain from it proper form right now. you want me to film another video with the bar being put more below?

I'm talking in general, I'm just asking if my back posture is vertical enough, I dont wanna lift so heavy at start if I'm doing it wrong.. I'm not very strong, ye I went up to 35 kilo as my first deadlift workout but I don't wanna go more before I know its good

Can't help you, sorry. The information is available, but you won't read.

If you say I understood all wrong from your articles and videos then I'm pretty sure the book wont help either

starting strength coach development program
    Probably true.