starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi-after some serious shoulder mobility issues (and work to try and rectify) I can finally get under the bar in what feels like a half decent low bar position. However I feel like the rest of my form has gone out the window-this was my final set of 3 (aimed for 5) with a measly 200lb. Every rep felt like a grind, no rhythm at all.
    Any ideas what’s gone wrong? I’m not going to beat myself up too much as I feel I’m rebuilding after a long lay off but any tips would be a huge help.

24 October 2020 - YouTube

Other than you needing to shove your knees out harder I see no issues or even any struggle. This should have been a set of 5 for sure

Thanks-I think I’m going too far past parallel and I don’t think my elbows should be as jacked up as they are. To be honest I train in a commercial gym (100 treadmills and 2 squat racks) and yesterday being a quiet Saturday was the first time I’ve managed to position a camera in a half decent position haha. That was also at the end of my session-looking at
    It again I could’ve easily hit 5...

I think if you want to succeed in this program, you need to redefine what a grind is. Why didn't you go down for the 4th rep? Then the 5th? You had them easy. Rip has said countless times that you learn a lot from the reps you aren't sure if you can finish, but you won't know unless you try.

Just rebuilding form and maybe I need to redefine what I meant-less of a grind and just not all that smooth.
    A few years ago I “did the programme” and got up to mid 300sX5 on squat which I appreciate isn’t amazing but was a good steady progression and certainly heavier than 90% of the people in my gym.
    As such I’ve decided to ask people who know what they’re on about if everything looks OK before I start adding weight to the bar. To me it felt like I lot a bit of tightness at the bottom which makes me think my stance could be too wide. I also think I go too far below parallel as a result and I also think my elbow position isn’t quite “right”.
    I’m very keen to start progressing again.

I'm not a coach or very experienced, but I think your depth is good. Tightness at the bottom is good, it's how you rebound out.

Sometimes weight feels awkward if my muscles aren't warmed, maybe that was it for you. Hope you hit 300 again soon.

Cheers-tried the same weight again today for 5s and got them without any issues.
    I may need to go through the book again but I still get a bit confused at how knees can go out and forward at the same time as hips going back...I think my reps are a touch too fast as a result because when I try and be a bit slower and controlled I end up separating the movements which puts a bit of a “kink” in the motion if that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper2020 View Post
    I still get a bit confused at how knees can go out and forward at the same time as hips going back
    If your hips go back and the knees don't move what does that look like?

If your knees move forward and out and the hips don't move what does that look like?

Get in your squat stance and try each of the above unweighted, moving down just a bit - down to just a 1/8 squat, maybe 1/4 squat at most. Then do some of each at the same time, nice and balanced. You should be able to see and feel the difference between the three immediately.

starting strength coach development program
    Haha yeah you’re right-I think I’m just relearning the motor pattern and if I do it “fast” enough it kind of happens naturally but when I try and be a bit more focused and controlled it all seems to fall apart.
    Oddly enough I play the guitar and the same is true for some of the complex picking patterns etc...