starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, just wanted to check in and make sure my squat form looks good. This was a set of 5 at 295 lbs. I apologize for the portrait orientation but my garage is a bit tight to film in landscape.

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Squat Form Check - YouTube

Hey Brent

A few things...the bar is way too high on your back for low bar. Need to get it a couple inches lower and below the meaty part of your traps in the video there. Also, the stance needs to come in so your heels are more under your arm pits. Getting the bar lower will help you to get leaned over and reach back with the hips.

Do you have an injury you're avoiding or working around? You seem to be shifting to your right at the bottom of every rep?

Thanks Pete, very helpful. I was a high bar squat guy until Starting Strength so I've had to relearn the movement as a middle aged guy, which has been an adventure. I think the bar position is a remnant of my "old" squat. I will work on that.

I hadn't noticed that shift before but I see it now. I've had some lower back tightness/soreness that I believe stems from me not setting my back properly with the deadlift. As the weight on that lift approaches 400 pounds, my lower back just feels shot and I think it is spilling over into my squat technique. Setting my back properly with the deadlift while keeping my hips high and hamstrings tight has been a constant struggle for me. Anyway, I am working on that in conjunction with making these adjustments to my squat. Hopefully, I can get both movements cleaned up as my bench press and press are progressing nicely.

Cool. If you post another squat follow up, post a set from directly behind as well. And we can take a look at your deadlift as well.