starting strength gym

Thread: Squat- rest between sets

Default Squat- rest between sets

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

Background: I am 45 yrs male, weighing 176lbs, with no sports background, started doing SS recently.

Context: My current squat is at 205 lbs. When the
    Plates were lighter, I used to need 4-5 min of rest between the sets to recover. But off late, when the weight has increased more, I am needing more time, around 10-13 min to recover. During the set itself, I don't feel any pain, but immediately after the set, my quads are extremely sore, like they are burning, but I don't have any soreness in glutes or hamstrings. For example, the last session of 3x5 at 205 lbs, I needed, 14 min after 1st set, 13 min after 2nd set, and 10 min after 3rd set. The last set of 3x5 for reference:
    Squat-205 lbs-8 November 2020 - YouTube

Questions:
    1. Is it normal the quads to be sore after the set?
    2. What is recommended time to rest between sets? Is 10-15 min of rest between sets normal, or I need to deload?
    3. Is there any specific activity people do during rest to recover fast? For example, I sit quitely for 4-5 min for my breathe to catch-up, drink some water, and after that I pace around the room for 4-5 min (assuming it would help circulate blood in my quads).

Thanks.

You don't happen to be a vegetarian, do you?

Yes, I am. But I do ensure I am getting plant based protein, and carbs, and do recover by my next session. ( No pain or soreness before the session)

How did I know? You're not getting recovered, because you're not getting enough quality protein.

this has my vote for next “Best of the Forums”.