starting strength gym

Thread: squat and deadlift form check

Default squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had some elbow tendonitis forever it seems like, initially because of BJJ, but it seemed to get better with lifting. This is my second LP. I had to bail on 210 lbs twice, so I decided to take a deload to 185 lbs. I have pretty bad shoulder flexibility, but I've been doing Paul Horne's low bar stretch and trying to narrow my grip more

I failed my most recent deadlift set at 255 lbs, I noticed that I have this tendency to raise the arch of my foot, not sure what I should do to fix that? play around with my stance maybe?

I noticed it a little bit on my previous set at 245 lbs

SQ - You look like you are over extending a bit at the top. Lifting your chest and arching your low back. Just stand normally, and when you get your breath - your position should be like what you would do if someone was about to punch you in the gut. More like an abdominal crunch.

If the weights are not moving up you probably need to eat more

DL - get closer to the bar in the setup - shins should be 1in away and bar over midfoot

Thanks Ryan! For the squat I’ve been trying really hard to set my upper back because I had a tendency to flex it, I guess I might be over doing it. Do you see any issues with grip or bar placement at all?

I was going to say on your grip--on the deadlift, it looked like your grip might have been coming loose on the 5th rep at 255. Even if you are using a hook grip (couldn't tell from the video), if you don't keep it tight, it can come loose and lead to a missed rep (almost got me yesterday).