starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey SS comunity!

Iīve been working on my squat (depth and grip) and when I saw the TUBO video I realised I had another correction to make in my squat, my back was too vertical and I had to keep the knees from going too forward.

My concerns are: is my low back in the right place during the lift? Is the bar in the right place? Depth is correct? Back angle is correct?

This is my best version so far.

These are pretty solid. You need to bend over just a little more and drive your hips out of the bottom more.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    These are pretty solid. You need to bend over just a little more and drive your hips out of the bottom more.
    Dude! Thank you so much for your feedback, I spent the past few weeks working on geting closer to what you suggested.

Can you tell me if itīs better now?

The bending over is better, but you're still not driving your hips much at all. Videotape your warm up sets and watch if you're driving your hips more. You need to lift your butt more than you want. It may feel like a goodmorning. Post another video from next workout.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

I think I get what you are saying ( the good morning analogy helped). I tried something but it felt heavier. Here's what I got from today's last set:

This is definitely an improvement.

If you have the book, you should look at the squat section where it tells you to have someone block your hips at the bottom of the squat (without a bar) so you have to drive your hips up against the person's hands. You should do this a few times with a friend so you get the feel better.

Thank you very much, Andrew!

Yes I do have the blue book, iīve read it twice but itīs hard to apply words into my body. Itīs been a long process.

Iīll work on my hip drihhhhve on the next workouts and now I get why Rip keeps saying this over and over. I thought I was doing it but turned out that I didnīt..

starting strength coach development program
    You're welcome. If you can get a friend to help you on the hip blocking, I think it'll help a lot. Good luck.