starting strength gym

Thread: Form check - press

Default Form check - press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all, first post. I've just started into barbell training in the last 2 months via SS content. Since the covid crisis, the calisthenics scene in Australia has been overly saturated for my liking and level of technique is below my standards. I am looking for another passion to add to the list and see how my bodyweight expertise & experience can transfer to barbell training.

Been listening to the podcast everyday from the beginning and have both books.

This year is the first time I've done "gym" training. So excuse my lack in knowledge/technique of lifting but I am keen to perfect to lift heavy.

Press
    Last set of 5x3 @ 55kg

34 years
    5'6
    Bw @ 70kg

3 reps @ 55kg_24.11.2020 - YouTube

Make sure you read the blue book first/as soon as possible.

Adjust your setup here a bit so that your wrists are straighter and the middle knuckle is pointing up. This will have your wrists extended back only a tiny bit. Then make sure your elbows are slightly in front of the bar. Take a big breath and keep your ribs down (tight abs) as you do. Then punch your hips forward harder and push the bar *back* to your shoulders. Since you are then doing the 1.5 version of the press make sure you breathe at the top (lockout) and do your best to return the bar back to the exact setup position on the way down so you don't wind up in the wrong position. This takes practice and is one reason we don't recommend people do the 1.5 version as beginners.

Thanks for the feed back. I will review my video with your comments. I am use to being rigid for freestanding handstand pushup so applying any momentum is challenging to switch off

I have read parts of it but yet to completely go through in detail.

What do you mean by 1.5 version?

Version 1.0 is strict (no hips). Version 2.0 has a hip reach for each rep (this is in the blue book). Version 1.5 has a hip reach in rep #1 only and then remaining reps are completed with no hip reach and usually no pause between them (breathing is therefore done at the top of each rep).