starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Folks,
    Happy thanksgiving to you! Let me take the opportunity to thank the coaches and Rip for the amazing content and these formchecks that have helped me a lot.

So a prelude to the form check: I had some recurring pain near my hip crease that radiated down my upper thigh on the anterior side.
    This was only on the right side, and somehow was followed by unilateral back pain (near L5) on the same side as well.
    I found that my squats were just parallel, or maybe even half an inch above parallel. This might also be why my previous post didn't make it to the forum?
    I think I have fixed the depth in this workout (link squat form check - YouTube).
    Does this look fine? The book of Rippetoe says that just parallel squats might cause an "interesting" tendonitis near the hip joint, so maybe that was the reason. Are there any other red flags here?

For the deadlift, I was not doing step 4 correctly and there was a moderate spinal flexion. Again, I guess that has been fixed (link deadlift form check - 140kg - YouTube? I can see that I am pushing the bar forward on the first rep during the setup. Will stop doing that.

I have one last question.
    As is apparent from the videos, my rack faces a wall, which makes filming my presses impossible from the front quadrant (as the sticky says).
    Will you accept a video taken from the side?

Many thanks to the SS team, love from India!

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums.

So is it just the first repetition, or are all of them above parallel?

They all looked high to me

Okay, sorry for that, are these of proper depth?
    Link: squat form check - YouTube

The first 3 were high. I film my third set every workout from the side at knee height to help with depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    The first 3 were high. I film my third set every workout from the side at knee height to help with depth.
    Thanks! I thought that might be a good solution, but then the sticky said to film from eye level.
    However, today I filmed from approximately the belly height (link squat form check - YouTube).
    Does this seem better?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, to clarify: I film my third set of myself from directly at parallel from the side. That way I'm able to tell before going up in weight. My comment is more related to teaching myself proper depth than posting on the forum.