starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Power Clean

Default Form Check - Power Clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback on my Power Clean. Here is the first set of today's 3 working sets.

Here is the video: Power Clean 125 x 5 - YouTube

Thank you!

You need to actually jump, not just kick yourself in the butt with your heels.

Why the set of five?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you for the feedback.

How does my back position look?

You know, I can't give a real reason for the set of 5. I'll stick with sets of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by meetch View Post
    Thank you for the feedback.

How does my back position look?
    You're welcome.
    It's hard to tell from this angle, but your back looks mostly fine. Shift your weight back slightly before you pull though. You're a little forward at set up.

You know, I can't give a real reason for the set of 5. I'll stick with sets of 3.
    That's a good idea, but do you understand why would you do 3s instead of 5s?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    You're welcome.
    It's hard to tell from this angle, but your back looks mostly fine. Shift your weight back slightly before you pull though. You're a little forward at set up.

Thank you for that, I appreciate it. I think the "belly between the thighs" cue would be helpful as well.

That's a good idea, but do you understand why would you do 3s instead of 5s?
    I do not, but I will take a shot. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Power Clean is an explosive movement compared to the Slow Lifts and they must be programmed in order to remain "explosive" and 3s are more effective at replicating the explosive nature of the lift.

they must be programmed in order to remain "explosive" and 3s are more effective at replicating the explosive nature of the lift.
    Yes, and the reason for this is that a weight that you can clean for a set of five is just not that heavy. In addition to that, the technique degrades more steeply as a function of reps than in the slow lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yes, and the reason for this is that a weight that you can clean for a set of five is just not that heavy. In addition to that, the technique degrades more steeply as a function of reps than in the slow lifts.
    Thank you, Andrew. I really appreciate it.

It feels good to participate in the community again. This is the only training community that explains the why.