starting strength gym

Thread: Form check - bench press

Default Form check - bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches,

I've been lifting for several years and trying to follow the SS book/method, but only just now managed to create an account on the forums. I figure I'm long overdue for some tips on my form. I took a video today of my bench press; any advice is appreciated:

Bench 2020-12-3 - YouTube

Thanks for the help!

-skypig

1) I think a slightly wider grip will be better.
    2) Lock out your arms all the way against the uprights before bringing the bar over your face to your shoulders.
    3) Take your breath entirely before you start each rep.
    4) Try and keep your elbows slightly in front of the bar. Think of leading with the elbows forward (not to the sides) as you start the descent of each rep.
    5) Try not to rock your head up and down during the lift - keep it locked into position.

Thanks very much for the detailed tips - I really appreciate it! Everything makes sense to me except for the wider grip advice, which I'll need you to explain further. I selected my current grip width based on the specific advice in the SS:BBT Bench Press chapter, where it specified a grip width that would produce vertically straight forearms at the bottom of the press (i.e. vertical when viewed from both axes). My current grip width accomplishes this, and if I was to go wider, my forearms would no longer be vertical at the bottom. That being said, I'll admit that a wider grip definitely "feels better" to me (whatever that means?), so I'd be all too happy to widen it, if that's what you suggest.

Any further clarification is appreciated. Thanks again!

-skypig

I was just suggesting a tiny nudge wider. Like an inch. You can still get vertical forearms that way - just need to tuck your elbow in a tiny bit. Right now your forearm looks a bit angled in with elbows not always in front of the bar.

Got it - I'll push my grip out a bit and focus on keeping elbows in front of the bar.

Thanks for the help!