starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    i posted in the managing injuries section about pain i was getting in my quads and IT band from squatting. i posted a couple of videos which showed that i wasnt hitting depth on my squat at all and my form was off in general. i since deloaded and tried to correct this in line with starting strength -Basic Barbell Training. The videos below are how im squatting now. i would appreciate feedback on this. Apologies for posting again. just clicked that the injury section isnt really the place for this

side view 1

side view 2

front view

behind view

not sure about my back on the last one.

1) Take a slightly narrower stance. Your feet are outside your shoulders and you want them about shoulder width.
    2) Lean over more at the start. The bar needs to get over mid foot so you are balanced on the way up.
    3) Your depth now is generally a bit too deep. Aim for hip crease below top of knee cap.
    4) You are pausing your reps in the bottom, which is a different type of squat. Don't pause, catch the bounce and come back up.
    5) Face the uprights when you take the bar out so that you can see them and more safely return the bar back into the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    1) Take a slightly narrower stance. Your feet are outside your shoulders and you want them about shoulder width.
    2) Lean over more at the start. The bar needs to get over mid foot so you are balanced on the way up.
    3) Your depth now is generally a bit too deep. Aim for hip crease below top of knee cap.
    4) You are pausing your reps in the bottom, which is a different type of squat. Don't pause, catch the bounce and come back up.
    5) Face the uprights when you take the bar out so that you can see them and more safely return the bar back into the rack.
    thanks for your comments. i will narrow my stance a little. i actually was a bit wider than i am in those sets but i started to get pain in my hip and glute medius which i thought might have been down to my legs being shoved out too much. i found it hard to judge my feet width when im setting so good that i have something more definitive to work off now.

with the depth, i find it hard to judge where my hip crease is. ive become obsessed with this now to the point where im recording every set to make sure im going below it. the diagram or picture in the book sorts of points at the hip joint when illustrating depth.

the pause at the bottom again is down to me trying to make sure im hitting sufficient depth. hopefully i can get a better idea of when I'm down far enough as i progress.

also, is my back ok? i dont have too much butt wink?

Butt wink? Again? After I asked you not to say this anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Butt wink? Again? After I asked you not to say this anymore?
    lol sorry

i understand a certain amount is not an issue but just want to make sure my back is ok in general