Hi all,

First time posting for a form check.

Male 34
    6'3
    330 lbs
    195 x 3

This was before I actually started phase 1

195 squat - YouTube

Form overall seems pretty decent to me. My biggest struggle is getting the bar low and keeping the wrists straight. I'm a pretty big guy with a big chest and even though I'm extremely flexible, getting the bar into position is proving to be quite difficult for me. So much so that I now have pain in my left elbow. I also feel like I pulled something in my bicep/shoulder. This is after just a few weeks of training. The left elbow pain became apparent when I was benching last week. And I had to stop yesterday after my first work set on bench to avoid further inflaming my elbow. I think its from overextending my elbows in the low bar position of the squat. I'm much more comfortable with really bent wrists but I know that's not going to work for a 405 squat. I also struggle with wanting to hold the bar up instead of just letting it rest on the back. I think thats also what has hurt my elbow.

Thanks

The bar looks too high on your back for low-bar squatting. Your depth is a but inconsistent and you often sink down in the bottom and lose the bounce. Also make sure your stance is shoulder width (I can't tell from this angle) and keep your knees out.

Thanks Hayden

Even at that higher bar position, its very uncomfortable and borderline painful on my wrists and elbows. What can I work on to get the bar lower?

Consider wearing weightlifting shoes. With your size and agility, a shoe that provides a stable platform (instead of soft running shoes) should make a real difference to your form.

Here's a video from Coach Horn on getting into a low-bar position:

Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

Let me add that once you (1) have the bar in the right place and (2) really tighten your shoulders and upper back muscles (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, Figure 2-17, p. 23-25), the tension on your wrists and elbows should be much more balanced.

Thanks for the video J., that helps. Yes I plan to get some weightlifting shoes. I notice my feet rolling when I squat.

Should I lay out for a while until this left arm pain/discomfort goes away? Elbow and shoulder/biceps area is bothering me.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I would get weightlifting shoes right away. Lack of stability is not helping any other issues you have.

There's a lot of information on the website about elbow pain. There are physical therapists on the "Managing Injuries" forum, so you might consider posting there.

Here's a good article by Coach Delgadillo:

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo