starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,
    I am a freshman in HS, and very new to weightlifting. I am very excited to begin Starting Strength, I love the book. Before I start the program, I want to make sure my technique is ok. I am 6'4, 220 lbs, and I want to be the starting Left Tackle on next year's varsity team. I don't think I am getting low enough, it is hard for me, I have read the sticky note on getting lower but it just doesnt feel comfortable. My descent also does not seem fluid as all the other videos I have watched.

Have a look, can't wait to hear from you.
    Sam.

Squat 135x10

Hey Sam,

Only approving because you have not been on this planet very long. If you really want to get stronger and make the team you need to read the book. If you are squatting high, for sets of 10 and barefoot you have not read the book. I would also just find a SSC near you to see for at least a few sessions as it will save you a ton of time

Dear Sam,

If you are 15, 6'4" and 220, I predict a bright future for you in the weight room. If you are in New Jersey, the only Starting Strength coach I see in the directory is in Asbury Park.

There are some coaches in Manhattan, if that is close (including Ryan Arnold, who replied to you above).

You might consider getting the DVD, which I love:

Starting Strength DVD (2010) – The Aasgaard Company

In the book, your concerns about squat depth are pictured on p. 18 of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (SSBBT). In Figure 2-10, your too-high squat is second-from-the-left. You want to be at the depth shown in the fourth-from-the-left picture.

But, start with the foot placement shown in Figure 2-12 (SSBBT, p. 20) and the bottom position shown in Figure 2-13 (SSBBT, p. 21). It's good to start learning the squat by learning the bottom position.

Good luck--also eat so that you can be one of those 250+ pound guys that nobody wants to see across the line from them.

Thank you both for the feedback. I will certainly look into that trainer in Asbury once Covid gets a little better around here. I have been unable to find size 17 training shoes, and felt my basketball shoes are too rigid for ankle mobility. I felt barefoot would be better until I can find my size. I just seem to have trouble hitting that depth, maybe a wider stance or trying to push my knees out more.
    I'll also read the chapter again.

Thanks again all, stay safe!!

Be sure to read the parts about hand position and getting (and staying) tight during the entire rep. Pay particular attention to the advice on the Valsalva.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseysam View Post
    Thank you both for the feedback. I will certainly look into that trainer in Asbury once Covid gets a little better around here. I have been unable to find size 17 training shoes, and felt my basketball shoes are too rigid for ankle mobility. I felt barefoot would be better until I can find my size. I just seem to have trouble hitting that depth, maybe a wider stance or trying to push my knees out more.
    I'll also read the chapter again.

Thanks again all, stay safe!!
    Take it slow while you learn the form. Record yourself every squat session and compare it with how it is supposed to look. Im not a coach and couldn't tell you exactly what you need to do to get there but this approach worked for me. My squat went from looking like absolute garbage to pretty good after 2 months of practicing. Based on the video your squat looks fine to the point where you stop. I don't really see what is stopping you from going lower. I would be interested in seeing what your squat looks like if you just continue to go down and try to get to depth. That might fix your problem entirely or reveal a mobility issue that is limiting you.

Remember that to hit depth, you want the top of your hip socket to be at or below the top of your knees. Don't be afraid of leaning forward. Us tall guys often have to do this to a greater extent to keep the bar over the middle of the foot. One of my personal queues is I focus on where my hips are during the squat. I try to drop the hips as low as I can go while keeping extension in my lower back and then try to drive the hips up out of the bottom. It didn't take long for me to get a pretty good idea of how deep I needed to go.