starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press check

Default Bench Press check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi!
    Progress on the bench has been going up steadily the last few weeks and I finally hit 90kg (198lbs). I don't have any real form issue as far as I can see, except the fact that I train alone so it's difficult to take the bench out of the pins by myself without wasting a lot of energy. Could that be the reason why the 5th rep is always much slower than all the others? Or do I have the neuromuscular efficiency of a woman? I'm thinking it's the latter and that I should switch to sets of 3 whenever I start stalling.
    I'd like to know if there's anything you see that I could correct in order to keep this progress going (besides eating enough).

Thank you for your time!

Bench Press - 90kg - 16.12.20 - YouTube
    (This is the 3rd set of 5)

Keep your butt on the bench when you unrack. Otherwise they look good. If the reps are slowing/stalling its probably a programming issue

Pardon the interruption and I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but isn't the 5th rep usually harder than the other 4 and therefore it slows down?

I always assumed the last rep of any set was where a lot or most of the stress benefits came from.

Fire away!

The 5th rep will not slow down markedly in the early phase of the NLP, if the correct starting work set weight has been selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Keep your butt on the bench when you unrack. Otherwise they look good. If the reps are slowing/stalling its probably a programming issue
    I feel more confident in lifting my butt because I can push harder against the bench and more easily unrack the bar. Is this just my imagination or is it actually useful?
    I wouldn't do it if I had someone to unrack it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The 5th rep will not slow down markedly in the early phase of the NLP, if the correct starting work set weight has been selected.
    I'm in Phase 3 of NLP and BP has been going up linearly for the last few weeks so I think I'm just approaching a stall.
    I will adjust programming/diet accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I feel more confident in lifting my butt because I can push harder against the bench and more easily unrack the bar. Is this just my imagination or is it actually useful?
    I wouldn't do it if I had someone to unrack it for me.
    I think the tradeoff you are making for unracking easier is that you are moving an overextended lumbar spine under load. Its not a tradeoff I would make. But hey - whatever blows your hair back

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I think the tradeoff you are making for unracking easier is that you are moving an overextended lumbar spine under load. Its not a tradeoff I would make. But hey - whatever blows your hair back
    I see, honestly speaking I haven't given the butt on the bench unrack a try in a while, so I'll do it next time and see how it goes. Thank you!