starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I would like some feedback on my technique. I'm learning quite a bit from observing other recent threads via videos & feedback and recycling through the book.

I do have a minor tear in my abductor from tennis a few weeks ago hence why you see me favoring one side and the weight at bodyweight. I am noticing the bar creeps up my back further into the reps. Should I be lifting my elbow higher to lock the bar in place? I usually have a tight back from a strong calisthenics background especially in this video from the previous day's workout.

Side view
    3 reps @ 70kg/154lbs_side - YouTube

Rear quarter
    3 rep @ 70kg/154lbs_rear quarter - YouTube

Front quarter
    3 rep @ 70kg/154lbs_front quarter - YouTube

H: 5"6
    Bw: 70kg

Pretty good! A few suggestions:

1) Take a slightly narrower stance so feet are shoulder width (not outside shoulder).
    2) When you take your breath, bear down on your abs (keep ribs down) so that your back stays flat (it is arching up a bit towards the bottom).
    3) Try and set up with straight wrists (they are flexed over the bar).

Thanks for the key points

1) Take a slightly narrower stance so feet are shoulder width (not outside shoulder)
    I tried a narrower stance. Is this better? I feel the depth is harder to reach but I will probably adapt as I consciously apply it

2) When you take your breath, bear down on your abs (keep ribs down) so that your back stays flat (it is arching up a bit towards the bottom).
    This has helped with my lumbar flexion - though it is normal to have a rounded back or should be pretty much straight with a more horizontal angle. I do get back soreness only after each set and further into the work-sets, once finish it lingers for 30-45mins. Is this something for the back to get adapted to as I have read?

3) Try and set up with straight wrists (they are flexed over the bar).
    Do you mean more relax over the bar? I am probably having trouble breaking the habit as in calisthenics, a firm grip is a dominant feature.

The left abductor is still nibbly as I'm compensating with the RHS on the last 2 sets. 90kg/198lbs felt good for the first 3 work-sets and decided to bump it up to 95kb/209lbs, though I have noticed depth is inadequate.
    Should I drop to 3 reps instead of 5 reps x 5 sets to get more quality.

5th set @ 95kg/209lbs
    3rd set @ 90kg/198lbs - YouTube

4th set @ 95kg/209lbs
    4th set @ 95kg/209lbs - YouTube

3rd set @ 90kg/198lbs
    5th set @ 95kg/209lbs - YouTube

You need to get deeper yes. Push your knees out hard from the start and go lower. You also need to lean over at your hips more from the start. You are too vertical going down. And yes your back should be flat with a more horizontal angle to achieve this. Soreness could be due to a variety of things. I would stop doing 5x5 and focus on your technique first and see if it's still an issue. Wrist tension is not what I am referring to. Just the physical alignment of the structures -wrists straight.