starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Question Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone,

I'm working through my NLP and I need some feedback on my squat form.
    I've read the blue book but self-teaching this particular lift is challenging.

• I initially took the video because I was convinced my back was far too vertical, from watching it though I can see that the back is much closer to 45 than it felt
    • I think my weight seems to be shifting forward a little, is this from not staying in my hips/raising the chest too early?
    • I think I'm pretty sure I'm "dive-bombing" into the hole after watching this. Are there any techniques or methods of practicing slowing down and controlling the descent more?

Any on other feedback anyone has would be great. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Basically a high-bar squat with the bar low. Comments will follow.

Reach back with your hips back as you descend and slow way down. Don't sit down. Sit back. Post another video after fixing that. That's going to fix a lot of your problems.

As far as techniques, I've never had a client who couldn't slow down by repeating "even slower" after every fast rep: "Slow down. Even slower. Even slower. Exaggerate slow. That's it." You just have to make yourself do it. Watch video for feedback. Do this on your warm up sets so you're ready on your worksets.

45 degrees is not what I'm looking for in a back angle. I'm looking for thighs in line with the feet. Feet flat. Bar midfoot. Knees out. Etc. All in the blue book. There are many different back angles with valid squat technique.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you both for your replies.

My next session is Wednesday and I’ll post a video after from the correct angle (45 degrees, landscape, more distance from the rack) Working on what you mentioned.

I have a follow up question:

I’ve been doing an incorrect movement pattern and loading it, now I’ll be changing the pattern. Should I deload the bar while trying to correct the movement pattern or is that a dumb thing to do?

I’m thinking on one hand that because I haven’t been practicing and loading the kinetic chain of the correct movement pattern, there might be weak links in that chain that make it difficult to practice it correctly at current work set weight.

On the other hand, the low bar movement effectively uses hip drive to move more weight efficiently. If I can “shitty high bar squat” the current workset weight, logically one could conclude that the low bar movement would be more efficient and powerful and therefore not be a problem.

I’m not sure which side of the fence to fall on this, thoughts?

I think you should just be able to fix it and continue on. You might have to reset later if you're really not getting it, but I wouldn't do that as a first reaction to what I'm seeing here.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Hey Andrew and Mark,

Below is my first work-set weight trying to implement the advice you gave me.

23 December 2020 - YouTube

I stopped after 3 reps because of how heavy it felt and how the bar slowed, but from watching the video I think this is due to going too low below parallel causing my lower back to round out.

They definitely feel better overall. My second workset, after watching the first, I focused on not dropping too low and it felt a lot better.

What else should I work on? I’m sure there’s a lot and I’m eager to get this as good as I can.

Thank you both, you guys are fucking great!

These aren't appreciably different than the first video you posted. Depth is still far too much. Look at the ground, not at that dude walking around on the other side of the gym. Your chest needs to point at the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    These are slightly better, but as Satch said, you need to look at the ground. You're also about 6" too deep.