starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Squat, Press, Deadlift, some questions

Default Form Check - Squat, Press, Deadlift, some questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat - 80kg (176lb) - Final set - Form Check - Squat - 80kg (176lb) - YouTube

Question: Are my knees are tracking two far forward? The bar path seems pretty straight, so I'm not sure how i'd bring them back without losing balance.

Press - 42.5kg (94lb) - Final set - Form check - Press - 42.5kg (94lb) - YouTube

Question: Is there anything obvious about my technique that might be causing shoulder pain?
    These felt hard, and my right shoulder (not too visible, apologies) was sore in the middle of each lift, when the elbow is at it's farthest from the body. This doesn't seem technique related, but I'd be interested to hear your feedback. My guess is it's to do with some of the small muscles around the joint being worked hard in that position (trying to stabilise the humerus at it's most weakest position). I've had shoulder pains since I was 18 (32 now).

Deadlift - 90kg (200lb) - Final (only) set - Form check - Deadlift - 90kg (200lb) - YouTube

Question #1: Am I properly setting my back before the lifts? My guess is no. My cue to set my lower back is to lift my chest, and I wonder if there's another cue that might help.
    Question #2: Am I properly lowering the bar? My guess is also no. I tend to drop it quickly, to avoid any unnecessary eccentric load on the deadlift.

Thanks again

SQ: Knees are about right. Just try and bend your hips and knees simultaneously at the start and lock your knees into position by about halfway down, then reach back with your butt. Depth is borderline. A slightly wider stance might help.

PR: Your wrists are bent back a bit too much. Point your middle knuckles up. You also could get tighter in the start - bear down with your abs when you take your breath (a belt will help). You are also initiating with elbows flaring out right away. Try and have the first part of the press keep the elbows in a bit more. This latter part might be causing the irritation.

DL: Start with your hips a touch higher, so the bar is back more over mid foot. You are setting your back right, but you are using your head/neck (craning up) in the process. Try and keep your neck neutral with eyes focused on the floor the entire duration of the reps. You can bring the bar down as fast as you want as long as you have control and keep your back tight. Just don't put it down so fast that you completely lose your setup position and need to spend excesses time between reps readjusting.

Many thanks, i'll take note of your advice.
    Cheers

Some quick video responses to the squat and deadlift. Just to note I was really happy with the session today. It's about 104 degrees today (40 celsius) and our gym doesn't have air conditioning, so I had to go slow and everything felt terrible, but I got it done.

Squat - 82.5kb (182lb) - Last set: Form check - Squat - 82.5kg (182lb) - YouTube
    So I tried to take a wider stance, break at the hips and knees simultaneously, and then fix my knees halfway through. What I notice is that I need to lean over more to maintain a steady bar path, which I assume is normal?

Deadlift - 95kg (210lb): Form check - Deadlift - 95kg (210lb) - YouTube
    These felt hard and it took longer to finish than I expected. I tried to set my hips higher, but I think they lower throughout the set, which is something I need to work on. I kept my neck in a more neutral position I think.
    In terms of setting the back, I think I set it fairly well, but I notice that I'm losing it during each lift, and I don't set it as well on each rep. However, on a positive note, this is the first time I've really felt that happening in my lower back as it was occurring, so it's good to know i'm building up some proprioceptive awareness.

Thanks again

Squats look better. Just try and get your knees forward sooner (they wait a bit before going at the start). It also looks like you resist the lean over a bit as you approach the bottom - try and avoid that. Deadlift is also much better. Squeeze will just take some practice as you are just now doing it. You do lose the setup a bit by the end. Just readjust between reps so knees are flush with the front of your arms. You also might want to widen your grip a smidge so that you can angle your knees out to the sides a bit more.