starting strength gym

Thread: Squat & DL Form Check

Default Squat & DL Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!

Hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend. I was hoping to get a form check on my squats and deadlifts from last week.

For the squats:
    -Want to make sure I'm hitting proper depth
    -I was having trouble with letting my hips rise too early and Good Morning my squat. I've been working on keeping my back tighter and not letting my chest drop as I drive up with the hips. Wanted some feedback on this as well.
    -And of course anything else that you notice needs fixing.

For the Deadlifts:
    -I haven't had much success with a hook grip. I've got pretty small hands. With the mixed grip, I tend to corkscrew a bit. So I've settled on warming up with a double overhand and using straps for my top sets. I don't plan on competing.

Deadlift
    Squat

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Squat
    Your squats appear to be full depth, but this angle isn't great for seeing that. I'd actually like to see more hip drive and a faster rebound out of the bottom of the squat. Your hands should be narrower.

What makes you think you're doing a good morning?

Deadlift
    The bar is starting forward of your midfoot. Check for midfoot by craning your neck to the side, not by looking straight down at your feet. If you don't know what I mean by that, let me know.

Stop fidgeting so much. Get your set up and then quit overthinking it. Push the floor away to stand up.

Equipment
    Get some shorts.
    Wear your shoes to deadlift.
    Buy some straps that aren't tourniquet-style.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

DEADLIFT
    The pull isn't that bad. Keep going up 5lbs. Straps are fine. Stop taking so much time. Once you're in position, breathe, squeeze your chest up and pull, scraping your legs. When you set it down, take a big breath and go. Don't sit down there and wait so long. I would use sweatpants instead of bulky pants.

SQUAT
    Not bad. Sometimes it looks like you're searching for the bottom and you slow down. Don't. Breathe, squeeze your abs, and squat all the way down till you hit the stretch relfex and explode up.
    Shove your knees out more, they come in as the reps go up.

Your form is not bad, keep progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Squat

What makes you think you're doing a good morning?
    I meant to say that in a previous form check, and SSC had told me that I was GM-ing my squats and that I've since tried to correct it. I'm glad to hear that the squats look better here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    The bar is starting forward of your midfoot.
    Did you mean for all the reps or on some? I feel that if I move the bar any further back, my hips will end up higher than my shoulders. I'll try this out and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    DEADLIFT
    The pull isn't that bad. Keep going up 5lbs. Straps are fine. Stop taking so much time. Once you're in position, breathe, squeeze your chest up and pull, scraping your legs. When you set it down, take a big breath and go. Don't sit down there and wait so long. I would use sweatpants instead of bulky pants.

SQUAT
    Not bad. Sometimes it looks like you're searching for the bottom and you slow down. Don't. Breathe, squeeze your abs, and squat all the way down till you hit the stretch relfex and explode up.
    Shove your knees out more, they come in as the reps go up.

Your form is not bad, keep progressing.
    Will work on these. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by minaam View Post
    Did you mean for all the reps or on some? I feel that if I move the bar any further back, my hips will end up higher than my shoulders. I'll try this out and see how it goes.
    You'll have to just shift your weight back slightly. Posting a side view might show something else helpful.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com