starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What's up guys. Newbie here looking for a little feedback on my Deadlift

235lb x 5 - Deadlift

I'm getting a few lower back tweaks after deadlifting, not every session though. It's usually stiff and sore the next morning and lasts for a few days. The pain is specifically right where the (L5) spine meets the sacrum.

I'm up to 260lb x 5 now, and have had a couple more tweaks along the way. I have extremely tight hamstrings and I've started stretching them out beforehand and it seems to help a bit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Not a coach, but I don’t see any attempt to set your back before the pull. It starts rounded and stays rounded. Work on getting your lower back into extension while keeping your hips high.

Yes, you need to learn how to set your back better. First, get rid of that belt. It's way too wide and will interfere with your sense of tightness (by a 3" leather belt that is the same width all the way around). Then try not to involve your head or neck in the squeeze. Keep them neutral. Then think of pulling your chest up (again not your head and neck) - think of lying on your belly and lifting your chest off the ground. It's that kind of movement. As you pull your chest up, pull up on the bar to pull the slack out.

Ok thanks for the feedback

Here is a set where I bumped the weight down to 225 and focused on setting my back and pulling my chest up:

225 x 5 Deadlift

I took your advice on the belt and ordered one that is 3" all the way around. Until it gets here in a few days my current one is all I got.

Back setting is better, but I would use no belt until the new belt arrives as you work on dialing in the squeeze. Also to work on: when you squeeze, keep your hips locked into place (they are dropping a bit here). Also, as you pull, send your knees back out of the way so that the bar can go straight up.