starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    23 December 2020 - YouTube

Not a lot to say really-thought my right shoulder mobility had gotten better but looking at this my upper body is a bit of a disaster. 185 felt heavy-I can currently bench more than I squat.
    Anything blatantly wrong?

There is nothing wrong with your right shoulder that would keep you from squatting 190x5x3. And then 195x5x3. Etc. Your squat is, however, about 3 inches too deep, visible in even this shitty angle. Read the sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your right shoulder that would keep you from squatting 190x5x3. And then 195x5x3. Etc. Your squat is, however, about 3 inches too deep, visible in even this shitty angle. Read the sticky.
    Sorry, thought the angle was better than it was-YouTube seems to have cut my foot position off.
    Thanks for the reply though-I’ve often felt that my squats are too deep. Is there a quick fix for this? Can never seem to get into a groove lately and don’t feel the “bounce” at all.
    Having said that my hamstrings etc felt absolutely fried after today’s session so I think I’m doing something right...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper2020 View Post
    I’ve often felt that my squats are too deep. Is there a quick fix for this? Can never seem to get into a groove lately and don’t feel the “bounce” at all.
    Set the safety pins to a height just below where the bar would be if you squatted to PROPER depth, and then work on a slow descent without hitting the safeties

Thing is when I get to the bottom, even at moderate speed it feels like there’s nothing “there” in terms of power out of the hole so to speak so I’m convinced I’m doing something wrong.
    I don’t seem to have very good control over my knees as well if that makes sense.