starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I was hoping to get a form check on my presses from today. In looking back at the videos, I can see that my right wrist is far more extended than my left. Other than that, do you guys have any other corrections to recommend? There were a few reps where the second rep went up faster than the first so I'm sure there's something I'm doing incorrectly.

Just a note on the videos: I recorded all five sets with diff angles. Let me know which is best and I'll stick with that one going forward. Also, I'm taking a larger than normal step backwards to avoid hitting the rings. I usually press facing the wall and take a much smaller step back. But I can't record a front quarter shot if I'm facing the wall.

Set 1-Front quarter 30 degrees (1st rep went up slow. The other two felt good)

Set 2: Front Quarter 45 degrees (1st rep went up slower than 2nd again)

Set 3: Side (probably felt like the best set)

Set 4: Front Quarter 45 degrees (Set felt good, though not as good as the 3rd set)

Set 5: Front Quarter 45 degrees (Last rep was a slow grind. Not sure if b/c of technique or inadequate rest)

Thanks!

As per the sticky: Shot best from the front quarter. Need to be able to see the lockout position, and the entire body at least from the knees up. Include the feet if possible. We’d like to see the hands, wrists, and elbows.

Your grip is too narrow, causing your forearms to angle inward in the setup instead of being vertical. Fix that and the reps should feel a bit better. However, there generally is a sticking point about halfway up, so you need to mentally prepare yourself for that point in the lift and be prepared to push hard through it. Your wrists are bending back during the lift, so that needs to be worked on as well. Get some wrists wraps. They will help.
    Last edited by Hayden-William Courtland; 01-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Your grip is two narrow, causing thorn forearms to angle inward in the setup instead of being vertical. Fix that and the reps should feel a bit better. However, there generally is a sticking point about halfway up, so you need to mentally prepare yourself for that point in the lift and be prepared to push hard through it. Your wrists are bending back during the lift, so that needs to be worked on as well. Get some wrists wraps. They will help.
    Thanks for responding so quickly! I will try a wider grip and use wrist straps when I press today. Will let you know how it goes.