starting strength gym

Thread: Form check, please. Power-clean too dirty.

Default Form check, please. Power-clean too dirty.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I would like a power-clean form check please.

I have done power-cleans plenty of times in my head, but today was the first time I actually did it for real. And it looks egregious. I spent 45 mins doing this today, trying to get the technique right. Why does it look like this? I can't even look at this objectively, it's funny and embarrassing. Why is the bar swinging around the whole world before coming into the rack position? The weight wasn't an issue, I think in total I did around 30 reps. There seems to be too many things I am doing wrong: I am not jumping high enough; my arms are bending and it feels like I am yanking on the bar as it touches my mid thigh; my balance is just all over the place; I am doing something weird after racking the bar at the top.

I don't know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Power-clean 75 lbs (front view) - Set 1

Power-clean 95 lbs (45 degree front view) - Set 4

These aren't bad. Let the reps settle at the top and replaced your feet before you set the bar down.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for taking a look. I feel very unbalanced at the rack position. Am I very upright at the rack position? Should I catch the bar by getting more low?

Hi everyone, is this better or worse?

Set 4 and 5 Power Clean - Day 2 - 115 lbs

Set 2 and 3 Power Clean - Day 2 - 95 lbs

His rack position of the power clean at 0:20 sec looks super balanced. And mine looks kind of weird. Also, I am not feeling the "punch" (is that the right word?). What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think your rack is too slow. Page 188 in the blue book might help. "Slam your elbows forward." On a few reps you've got a bit of a French curl happening. I think this is causing the bar to deviate from a vertical bar path and affecting your balance.

Do you have the blue book?

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Mark,

No, I don't have the book unfortunately. I am learning to do this by looking at your YouTube tutorials: How to Power Clean with Mark Rippetoe, In Depth on The Power Clean with Mark Rippetoe