starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round back deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, to me it looks like you did the same form without a belt.. perhaps you should try with less weight, to get the lower back really straight. I think you are right, you have the same issue I was having, to start with the bar too close to the body, maybe the tips dr. Hayden gave to me will be useful for you too, here´s the link.

Thanks for the link man! I read through everything. I'll work on incorporating those tips next deadlift workout. Also shoutout to you for lifting in what looks like your kitchen/dining room. Makin' it happen, man

Isaac,

You are not getting your back flat during the setup (in either video).

Here are two short videos showing Coach Rip working someone through the deadlift:

Mark Rippetoe Teaches John Lovell the Deadlift

Learning to Deadlift | The Starting Strength Method

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    Thanks for the link man! I read through everything. I'll work on incorporating those tips next deadlift workout. Also shoutout to you for lifting in what looks like your kitchen/dining room. Makin' it happen, man
    Dude, it was march 18th, the United States (home of freedom) had gyms closed and the news in Brasil anounces that it would be closing too the following day: I got out early from work, went straight to the equipment store to get the last 45´s that it had and a barbell.. That´s when it all started, no regrets. Who needs a living/dining room? My house is bedroom, office, utility room, kitchen and gym, no more.

20210115_205453[1].jpg

Anyway, I noticed in your deadlift that you manage to perform a flat back for a third of a second (47secs to 48 on the last video) and then you imediately round your back and start pulling:

flat back moment.jpg

It indicates that you have the mobility to do the correct position, you´ll just have to work on the strengh to mantain it during the whole lift.

Killmond: Thanks for the videos. I'll study up.

Miro: That's so freakin cool. And that's a good point you made about my back going flat. I'll try again and see how it goes when my workout calls for deadlifts again

I try to make sure every post I make on this forum makes clear I am not a coach, just a wannabe. So take what I have to say with some salt. That said, I think I'm seeing something no one else has brought up. I THINK what might be going on here is your foot placement is way too close together. It's hard for me to say for sure from the angle it's taken. It looks like you are trying to deadlift with the "frog stance" method, but when you adopt this stance, you need to turn your feet out more to compensate for having your heels closer together. I think your stance is causing your knees to end up too close together, and it is keeping you from setting your back properly. There's the useful cue of "drop your belly down between your thighs" to get the correct lumbar extension, and I think your thighs may be too close together due to your stance for you to be able to do this. Re-evaluate how far apart your heels are, and you will probably also have to widen your grip a bit to match. Look over the stuff about lumbar extension in the squat chapter, try to learn what that feels like and how to achieve it on command.

Okay, so here's my DL from this Friday

I tried widening my stance a bit, and I think it helped.

What I'm wondering is why I only got 400x1. I reset my work weight down because I failed 3 consecutive DL attempts. Now I can only get 400 for a single. What's going on?

starting strength coach development program
    A rounded back makes it easier to pull more weight. It shortens the lever arm between your shoulders and your hips, reducing the force against the hip hinge. The problem is there is uneven pressure on the disks in your spine. Depending on your genetics, the weight you deadlift, and the frequency you deadlift, you take on significant risk of disk herniation. I imagine if you continue like this you will get into trouble. I've herniated a disc before and the experience will put the fear of death into you. It's an injury that hurts all the time and basically doesn't heal.

You need to set your back, just like you do on squats and power cleans. If you are not capable of performing the lift with your back in position, then you need to take weight off the bar. I would be curious to see your squats or power cleans, to see if you are setting your back on any of your lifts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12