starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round back deadlift

Default Round back deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Hello.

I just can't seem to set my back properly in my deadlift. Here's 415x2. I was trying for a set of 5 today, but I only got 2.

I've been having issues with my low back rounding for a while now. I used the cue "point your butthole to the wall" while pulling my chest up, but to no avail.

The second rep in this set is deep-fried poo-poo. I just wasn't paying attention. So I'm looking for advice on the first rep onward. Thanks for your time!

Also, I'm not sure why YouTube made this video so low quality...

Mark, I'll start saving for a 3-inch belt now. When I was uneducated in the belt realm, I wanted to get the biggest and thickest belt possible that was IPF approved. I thought "more surface area, more support", like the bit about hoop tension says in your essay.

But you said "Granted, a wider belt provides better abdominal containment and more uniform hoop tension than a narrower belt. But if it keeps you from getting into the correct position to pull effectively, it hardly matters that it works better for part of the job. If you can’t get set correctly, you can’t pull correctly.”

I'll look into purchasing a 3-inch belt. My belt I currently have is pretty expensive (a little under $200!), so it's gonna be hard to justify that to the wife.

Sell it to somebody else who hasn't read the article.

200 IQ move right there. Nice

135 is enough.

Rip, in the interim, what should I do when I deadlift? My gym has a crappy little Altus velcro belt that's 3 inches that I can use. Is that feasible, or should I just go beltless?

Starting Strength, pg. 142: "...and some people even prefer no belt at all for most pulling if it prevents a good lumbar set position. Big deadlifts have been pulled with no belt, and you may find this best for your situation."

When does your belt arrive?

Haven't ordered it yet. The wife and I are being extra frugal at the moment because we might be purchasing our house that we're currently renting. It's a lot of money to be first-time buyers.

So we're saving every penny we can come across. And nobody has offered to buy my old belt yet. As soon as I have a buyer, I'll use that money to buy a 3-incher

starting strength coach development program

I tried doing 415 beltless last night. I cued myself with Andrew Lewis' cue of "pull for 5 seconds".

I think my back rounded this time because my shins were too close to the bar in my initial setup. Is this a correct assessment?
    Last edited by Isaac Medina; 01-14-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast