starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress

Default Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Starting Strengh comunity!

I begin to worry about my deadlift form when I did 379x5 and then my back hurt doing that, then I did not felt good to walk or stand, It was kinda stiff. It was not really hurt, but it was bothering enough so I could not deadlift heavy.. I did film it, but it was from a bad angle:

379x5 - youtube

That was in 12/11/2020.. then I trained until 18/11/2020 with light deadlifts, and then took a time off ´cause of vacations and traveling to see family.

Now I got back 01/02/2021, and I did 330x5, then 341x5, and today i did 352x5 and I filmed it from a better angle:

352x5 - youtube

Question: is my lower back straight enough? Can I really go along with this form or should I try to set it straighter?

In both cases you are bleeding your setup into your pull with not much of a distinct back squeeze. The result is not enough back flattening and your pulling with straight shins. Take a slightly wider grip so you can angle your knees out a bit. Set up with the bar against your shins and knees flush with the front of your arms. Your shins will be angled forward a bit. Then once this setup is achieved, pause for a second, then flatten your back by pulling your chest up (without letting anything else move). Then slowly stand up.

Thank you for your time and the directions! I´ll read them before each set to make sure I get those words into my body

Should I try to do the way you said with the same weight or should I do a light day just to get it?

Try it with the same weight and see how it goes. If you are having a hard time getting it, you can drop the weight for a few sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    In both cases you are bleeding your setup into your pull with not much of a distinct back squeeze. The result is not enough back flattening and your pulling with straight shins. Take a slightly wider grip so you can angle your knees out a bit. Set up with the bar against your shins and knees flush with the front of your arms. Your shins will be angled forward a bit. Then once this setup is achieved, pause for a second, then flatten your back by pulling your chest up (without letting anything else move). Then slowly stand up.
    Not a coach, but doesn’t he seem a bit too close to the bar to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Not a coach, but doesn’t he seem a bit too close to the bar to begin with?
    Yes.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I think I got at least a better angle to film it:

352x3

The first rep really felt better and I think it was not quite there, but closer to correct. The other two I guess were a little worse. It started hurting my chest on the last one (maybe because I wasn´t keeping the bar close enough to my legs as it should be) then I did not went for the other ones.

Next week I´ll try 10% less for fives focusing on the technique.

These look much better. You are still dropping your hips a bit as you pull though, so work on getting them in position before you pull. Also, try and take less time between sets and try not to yank your head/neck up as you pull.

Wink

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback Dr. Hayden-William!

I will deadlift really light this week because I just kinda hurt my back squattin (living and learning) then this one will be a light week for the squat and DL.

This was yesterday and I think it´s almost right with the exception of my neck (I´ll work on something on the wall for me to look at).

(don´t mind the soundtrack, it´s just to avoid cc claims)

And also my lifting shoes are coming next week and then will be heavy stuff only