Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress

starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress

Default Deadlift form check - hurt my back, trying to get back to progress

• starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    Hello Starting Strengh comunity!

I begin to worry about my deadlift form when I did 379x5 and then my back hurt doing that, then I did not felt good to walk or stand, It was kinda stiff. It was not really hurt, but it was bothering enough so I could not deadlift heavy.. I did film it, but it was from a bad angle:

379x5 - youtube

That was in 12/11/2020.. then I trained until 18/11/2020 with light deadlifts, and then took a time off Âīcause of vacations and traveling to see family.

Now I got back 01/02/2021, and I did 330x5, then 341x5, and today i did 352x5 and I filmed it from a better angle:

352x5 - youtube

Question: is my lower back straight enough? Can I really go along with this form or should I try to set it straighter?

In both cases you are bleeding your setup into your pull with not much of a distinct back squeeze. The result is not enough back flattening and your pulling with straight shins. Take a slightly wider grip so you can angle your knees out a bit. Set up with the bar against your shins and knees flush with the front of your arms. Your shins will be angled forward a bit. Then once this setup is achieved, pause for a second, then flatten your back by pulling your chest up (without letting anything else move). Then slowly stand up.

Thank you for your time and the directions! Iīll read them before each set to make sure I get those words into my body

Should I try to do the way you said with the same weight or should I do a light day just to get it?

Try it with the same weight and see how it goes. If you are having a hard time getting it, you can drop the weight for a few sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    In both cases you are bleeding your setup into your pull with not much of a distinct back squeeze. The result is not enough back flattening and your pulling with straight shins. Take a slightly wider grip so you can angle your knees out a bit. Set up with the bar against your shins and knees flush with the front of your arms. Your shins will be angled forward a bit. Then once this setup is achieved, pause for a second, then flatten your back by pulling your chest up (without letting anything else move). Then slowly stand up.
    Not a coach, but doesn’t he seem a bit too close to the bar to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Not a coach, but doesn’t he seem a bit too close to the bar to begin with?
    Yes.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I think I got at least a better angle to film it:

352x3

The first rep really felt better and I think it was not quite there, but closer to correct. The other two I guess were a little worse. It started hurting my chest on the last one (maybe because I wasnīt keeping the bar close enough to my legs as it should be) then I did not went for the other ones.

Next week Iīll try 10% less for fives focusing on the technique.

These look much better. You are still dropping your hips a bit as you pull though, so work on getting them in position before you pull. Also, try and take less time between sets and try not to yank your head/neck up as you pull.

Wink

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback Dr. Hayden-William!

I will deadlift really light this week because I just kinda hurt my back squattin (living and learning) then this one will be a light week for the squat and DL.

This was yesterday and I think itīs almost right with the exception of my neck (Iīll work on something on the wall for me to look at).

(donīt mind the soundtrack, itīs just to avoid cc claims)

And also my lifting shoes are coming next week and then will be heavy stuff only