starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate any feedback from todays squats. My primary concern is that I'm not maintaining sufficient lumbar extension, especially at the bottom. Is there a cue to help with this? I've read the blue and gray books and watched Rip's video on the importance of lumbar extension, but I'm still struggling with this. This is also my primary challenge with the deadlift and the snatch.

For additional reference, here is a set of 5 at 215 from the self sufficient lifter camp on 10-31 where Nick and Rusty gave me generally positive feedback.

And my first posted set for a form check on 10-14: Squat Form Check. This was 190. I started the NLP at 185. Thanks in advance.

Knee wraps?

You're not setting your knees forward early enough. You're just pushing your ass back. Get your knees forward right away and focus on keeping your pecs up and tight as you bend over.

Do you see in the "self-sufficient lifter camp" video that you're getting your knees forward right away and the bar is midfoot?

What do your squats look like without knees wraps, and why do you have them now?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    You're not setting your knees forward early enough. You're just pushing your ass back. Get your knees forward right away and focus on keeping your pecs up and tight as you bend over.

Do you see in the "self-sufficient lifter camp" video that you're getting your knees forward right away and the bar is midfoot?

What do your squats look like without knees wraps, and why do you have them now?

Thank you for the feedback Andrew.

The knee issue makes sense. I had a problem with the knees sliding forward at the bottom and I guess I overcorrected for that.

I've been wearing the knee wraps on the work sets because they seem to help prevent the knees from sliding forward at the bottom. I don't have any knee injuries or pain. I started wearing them when the work sets were about 260.

I don't have a video of a recent set without the wraps, but I believe the form is similar with and without them. I'll ditch the wraps for a while.

I'll work on getting the knees forward early and tightening the pecs. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Mitchell View Post
    Thank you for the feedback Andrew.

I've been wearing the knee wraps on the work sets because they seem to help prevent the knees from sliding forward at the bottom. I don't have any knee injuries or pain. I started wearing them when the work sets were about 260. .
    You're welcome.

You need to be the one preventing the knees from sliding forward. I would guess the wraps are actually making the problem worse.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com