starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m struggling to break the bar off the floor with knee extension. No matter how much I push the floor away it looks like my hip angle opens way before my knee angle.

Could it be a set up issue or a cue that might help, or is my form ok? Two videos below different angles with the same weight. It was a light day so not a max effort lift.

10 January 2021 - YouTube

10 January 2021 - YouTube

Set up issue. You are setting up with the bar behind midfoot. When you get your stance, make sure your shins are 1in from the bar and that it is over midfoot. On reps 2-5, return to this midfoot position. This will produce a more forward shin angle than the one you are using now, and thus allow you to use your quads more in the movement

Thanks!

Hi Ryan
    I set up a bit further from the bar today and I could feel more quad engagement.

13 January 2021 - YouTube

A couple of things I see in this video:

- My hips are dropping back as I initiate the pull.

- My shoulders seem too far forward when I grip the bar. Is this putting the hips in a bad position meaning they have to drop back to initiate the pull?

- Loss of lumbar extension on the last rep

- I’m looking up and leaning back slightly at the top

Thanks

Good observations. Your hips and shoulders are in the right positions - it probably just feels different because its new. Yes you lost a little lumbar extension on the last rep. And yes, at the top just look straight forward. These reps are also pretty slow. Try to eliminate some of the fidgeting at the bottom and pick up the pace a bit