starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlifts are getting heavy enough for me having to push myself not to quit set too soon. Feedback would be much appreciated.

First video is from my last heavy session with a set of 5@170 kg. Other video is from the previous session with 167.5 kg, which I fucked up by relaxing between 4th and 5th rep and ended up giving up the last rep.

I'm trying to figure whether I should repeat the weight and reps, add 2,5 kg and do set of 5 or add 2,5 kg and drop reps to 3?

Deadlift 170 kg, 6.1.2021 - YouTube

Deadlift 167.5 kg, 27.12.2020 - gave up on 5th rep - YouTube

My notes:
    - Eyes & head all over the places, need to focus on one point on the floor.
    - I jerk the bar a bit on start, this should stop.
    - Tendency to overextend the back when finishing the lift / starting to lower the bar.
    - On last rep lower back rounded resulting in need to hitch the bar and not quite finishing the lockout. Issue with not properly setting the back before pulling?

Is this a fair assessment? What else am I missing?

You do seem to want to lean back a little too much at the top, correct. But the main thing here is that you need to commit to doing what is written. Instead of finishing rep #5 you decided to look down at your hands and that threw everything off. Just finish the rep the same way you did the previous one

Thanks! I'll fix my eyes in the next session and record the results.

Will probably redo 170 kg for a set of five, for the added confidence in that I can finish set as long as I don't fuck it up.

Just a follow-up: Ended up fucking both the last rep and camera work today. Recorded 6 minutes of rest. Next week then.

Eyes were focused this time, but the knee MRI results I got just before leaving for gym probably got into my head a bit.

hey have you measured the plate diameter ? ive seen those grip plates and they are 2 inches smaller than standard plates so you might be doing 1 inch deficits.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, here's (a little) more successful attempt. I can't believe managed to screw up the camera work again. My head is not in the shot when I'm standing up - I know, pretty bad, considering the main problem was me looking down...

Deadlift 170 kg, set of 5, 23.1.2021 - third attempt, shitty camera work - YouTube

I checked the right placing during the warm-ups, but still managed to put the phone too close. Not yet used to new phone and different kind of case.

Did I finish the last rep?

The gaze/eyes obviously can't be seen in the video (well, maybe slightly from the background mirror), but this time my eyes were glued to a pattern on the floor mat. Right hand grip started to open on fourth rep (didn't happen on last two attempts @ 170 kg for set of five.

Should I try adding weight? Keep reps the same?

@shayan.givehchian: I measured the plates. They are 43 cm (or couple mm less), so yes, a slight deficit of about half an inch.