starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check 435#

Default Deadlift check 435#

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

I'm 39 yo 6-2 260. I've been working on my deadlift form and recently have added 40 lbs to my work set max in 4 weeks after having been stuck. This is partially due to resetting the squat after reading Santana's column on artificially low deadlifts. Was hoping to see if anything is amiss that I might correct to keep the progress going. I did feel some slight discomfort in the front of my supinated shoulder but nothing serious I don't think.

I apologize but I've been doing my DL work as a set of 4 instead of 5 every week.

Deadlift 435 x4 - YouTube

Thank you for your time.

Look at one spot the entire time.
    Set your back without moving your hips - they're dropping when you pick up your chest. You also need to set your back harder. It's losing tightness on the latter reps.
    You're fidgeting a lot. Move as little as possible during the set.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you, Andrew. Look forward to implementing these improvements. I also appreciate your latest video on not giving up the pull. I can see myself needing that advice soon.

Thanks. I'm glad you appreciated it. Post back after you try these changes to your deadlift.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Just had to comment that I’ve never seen anyone put 435 down quite so gently. It’s ok to put it down a bit more quickly, just control it the whole way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    It’s ok to put it down a bit more quickly, just control it the whole way down.
    Good point. That's definitely something that'll need to be rectified.

Yea, thanks for that. The descent has been speeding up on its own every week. I'll eventually build a deadlift platform with plywood to protect the concrete better. I think it'll help me to go down faster without worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Yea, thanks for that. The descent has been speeding up on its own every week. I'll eventually build a deadlift platform with plywood to protect the concrete better. I think it'll help me to go down faster without worrying.
    Ah, the floor. Hadn't thought of that. Platform would be a good investment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    You'll enjoy having a proper platform. Taking those little distractions out of your training make the process much more enjoyable.