starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift stuck for 2 months

Default Deadlift stuck for 2 months

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    DEADLIFT 335x5 345x1 - YouTube

First clip is me doing my 1x5 with 335 in November. Second clip is today, 2 months later, shaking like a fuckin earthquake attempting 345.
    Have I reached the end of LP? I have gained around 10lbs body weight in between those two clips and still have not progressed. 6’0 200lbs. Squat 315 3x5, press 150 for 3x5.

What happened programming-wise in the last two months? What workout did you do two days after the first clip?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

SQUAT 275x5 - YouTube

Found this clip from 3 days after clip 1. Did 275 3x5 squats. Probably pressed 135ish for 3x5 or 5x5.

I basically follow the program and do some curls and shit after. I will admit I haven’t done the power cleans, do rows instead. Squats gone up, press has gone up. Deadlift nah. Do you think I could be overextended on dead’s? When I squat it feels like my pelvis is much more tucked and I can push harder into my belt.

What did you deadlift on that day (3 days after clip 1)?

What did you deadlift the session after that?

If you have a picture of your training log, that would be a huge help. I'm trying to understand what happened between 11/2020 and 1/2021 that would take a deadlift from 335x5 to a 345 failed rep. You should have been deadlifting 345x5 four sessions after 335x5 in November.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

You gave up on 345. Up until you started shaking around the bottom of your knees, it was moving generally as fast as 335. Once you got scared or whatever happened, you immediately loosened up and dropped the bar.

To flesh out Andrew's question, what are you doing in terms of deadlifts? It sounds like you either alternate deadlifts with rows or deadlift twice a week and row once?

As for your squat, it needs work. The reps are far too deep and your back is too vertical. I'm not happy with how you're carrying the bar, either. Lose the deck shoes.

6'-0" and 200 lbs might need to be looked at, too.

Sorry don’t have a training log. Probably should. I did not deadlift on that session. Did 3x5 barbell rows from the floor with something like 225.

To be fair to myself, there was a 2-3 week period in between those dead attempts with NO training, gyms shut down again for the plague. I put together my own garage gym at this point as you saw on the 345 attempt.

I do an A day session with squats, presses and deads and B day with squats presses and rows, day off in between. Like I said I do a tiny bit of bodybuilding stuff after the main lifts, but nothing that beats me up.

I’ve attempted that 345*5 maybe 7 or 8 times now, once I got it for 4 (no I don’t have a video), but didn’t let myself go up in weight because I did not get all 5, now apparently I’ve regressed. HOWEVER I randomly hit 365 for a single on New Year’s Eve, because I was lifting with a buddy and said fuck it. That 365 moved fast too. I don’t know what my deal is.

Just for clarity, I didn't watch the squat video.

It seems to be one part mental (you gave up on that deadlift in the video) and one part programming.

The fact that you took a 2 to 3 weeks off with zero training is what I was getting at with my questioning. That has an effect on your lifting. It's hard to say without seeing a full training log, but I'd guess you went right back to the same weights and then dug yourself into a hole from which you are now trying to get out.

If you hit 365 because a buddy was there, but can't deadlift 345 now, that strongly indicates a mental block.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 01-13-2021 at 08:59 AM.

When I said A and B day I just meant I alternate every other day and only ever take 48 hours off unless I feel like shit. Meaning I guess some weeks I deadlift once and row twice and vice versa.

Is my take away that the issue is programming/mental, and that the (deadlift) technique isn’t so bad?

What should my programming look like going back to school now? I’m on Army ROTC scholarship so I’m basically forced to do stupid HIIT workouts and/or run 3 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by nddomenic View Post
    DEADLIFT 335x5 345x1 - YouTube

First clip is me doing my 1x5 with 335 in November. Second clip is today, 2 months later, shaking like a fuckin earthquake attempting 345.
    Have I reached the end of LP? I have gained around 10lbs body weight in between those two clips and still have not progressed. 6’0 200lbs. Squat 315 3x5, press 150 for 3x5.
    What diameter are those plates for the 345 ? You were using straps for the 5 set and it looked to me as if you were wearing gloves on the single ? You were relaxed on that first set, but nervous as hell on the second-as if you had already decided it was going to be a fail.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    What diameter are those plates for the 345 ? You were using straps for the 5 set and it looked to me as if you were wearing gloves on the single ? You were relaxed on that first set, but nervous as hell on the second-as if you had already decided it was going to be a fail.
    Good eye. Yea the plates are short I think 15”. I Lay another pair of plates on the ground that I pull from to get some more elevation. I may still be at a slight deficit.

I definitely gotta relax and get my confidence back. I was kinda trying to get some adrenaline going for the 345.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast