Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    set 3 of 3: Share - YouTube

90 kg, Any tips?

set 1: Share - YouTube
    set 2: Share - YouTube

Widen your stance a bit (you want it shoulder width). When you take your breath each rep try and keep the ribs down (bear down on your abs) so your back is flatter. Then lean over more at your hips as you start to go down and shove your knees out hard. Your wrists are very bent and elbows a bit high at times, so it looks like you have some shoulder tightness. Keep an eye on this (and try to improve it) as you will often get upper back rounding with this type of setup, particularly near the bottom of reps. You can see a bit of it here in these reps.

Thanks coach!

"Ribs down" felt really good, will cue that in the future. Got a busted elbow (the right one) which contributes to the shoulder area flexibility and grip width negatively. My grip is actually way better than it used to be and working on that.

Stance width: I've used a wider stance before. The width in the previous vids feels the most secure and powerful for me. In this video I'm maybe half an inch to an inch wider than before, should I try widening still? I think I could shove out the knees out harder still, forgot to cue them as the focus was on the ribs.

Just the last set of three at 92.5kg:

sqqq - YouTube

I really can't see them (black on black). For now, I would just work on getting more lean at the start, shoving your knees out hard, and ending your reps just below parallel.

Thanks coach,

I widened my stance a bit and I think I got it working now, before it felt a bit awkward. I also shot a video of myself straight from the backside a couple of workouts ago, saw my knees caving in A LOT, I didn't really see it from the 45degree back angle vids. So, have been focusing on shoving the knees out harder. Still doing the "Ribs down" cue also.

Here's my latest set from today, two pairs of plates yay:

Share - YouTube

Is the depth good here? I'm on the fence myself that they might be just a tad high?

About the grip, I've tried variations with width and elbow height. This is about the narrowest I can go without really sharp shooting pain in the busted elbow. Same thing if I drop my elbows even a bit from here: my experience and thinking is when I raise my elbows my scapulas go more horizontal and bear more of the weight, if I drop them even a bit (say 5 degrees from what I use here) the scapulas drop a bit and more weight is applied to the elbows. My left elbow (the good one) can handle it fine but my right one is basically rheumatic and can get VERY sore if abused.

This is the grip I can comfortably squat with anything heavier than a pair of plates, and it doesn't feel bad at all in my wrists. I've just tried to find some grip that doesn't hurt and I can just get my ulna or radius jammed against the bar for support. Getting even to this grip has been a long journey :-) I'll try to use the "recommended grip" for the warm-ups in the future and see where it goes.

Thanks,
    Pekka

starting strength coach development program
    Hey, been a while, some hip trouble, had to take a break and restart at 80kg. Been working on getting the elbows a bit lower and shoulders tighter. Feels better in the upper body.

Now back to 100kg, last set of three:

VID_20210112_180540.3gp - Google Drive
    you can skip to about 30secs.

Any tips?