starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form check

Default Squat Form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This was supposed to be a set of 5 for a PR (275 lbs) on intensity day for intermediate. I bailed after the 4th rep because it really felt like my back was arching and I was going to collapse forward. After looking at the video I don’t think it was that bad and I probably would have got 5. Just looking for a professional opinion on my form. Next time I think I would go for the last rep even if it feels the same on 4.

50 yrs old
    185 lbs
    Completed LP 1 month ago

Squat 1.5.21 - YouTube

Life is short. Go for 5.

You need to sit BACK right from the start and shove your knees out MUCH harder

Thank you. I tried to do what you said and my squats felt more like what I see in your educational videos. Just couldn't connect the dots myself I guess. Not sure if I'm all the way there so I attached 3 new videos from different angles. I apologize for the camera work. It was hard to find spots to put the camera without bugging people. I have a tripod on the way to help with that. This is my last 3 sets of 5 with 255 on volume day. Please let me know if I improved. Thanks for all your help.

Squat Set 3 of 5 1.9.21 - YouTube

Squat Set 4 of 5 1.9.21 - YouTube

Squat Set 5 of 5 1.9.21 - YouTube

I would bug people and get the rear 45 angle next time. From here I can tell your hips are breaking before your knees and they need to start bending at the same time. So you may have to think "knees first" in order to get them moving sooner. Continue shoving knees out harder and try to get a more secure grip on the bar with your hands

Back to intensity day at the same weight as initial post of 275. Did not go for that 5th rep again because the 4th set felt horrible. Absolutely amazing at how it looks on video compared to how it felt. Attaching the video for your critique. I am not really clear on when I should consider lowering the weight to focus on form correction and would appreciate any advice on that topic. I am also considering a switch from straight Texas method to rotating rep ranges of 5,3,1 on intensity day.

Squat 4 reps on set of 5...1.13.21 - YouTube

Better with knees/hips breaking. I would narrow the stance a tad. Still need to shove knees out harder. Part of the value of this program is finding out where your limits are and not cutting sets short because of how they feel. If this is occurring it means you should be running out LP the whole way, not doing Texas Method

I just watched a bunch of videos from the forum and other SS articles and I think I need to point my roes out much more in order to facilitate wider knees. I will work on form by restarting LP a little lighter and try to overtake my 275 in 3 or 4 sessions. I did actually run out LP the whole way and had been making progress on the TM for 4 weeks before I did not complete a set of 5. Going forward I will always try for the last rep and only miss it if I actually physically fail it and have to drop to the safety rails.

I think I see now what you are getting at. Tested some today with my toes pointed much farther and it felt more like what I see in your videos. Will post video after tomorrow’s volume day.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is a video from my latest squat session. As I am doing warm up reps I am able to begin pushing my knees out early and keep them out all the way down. When the weight gets above 240 I start to lose my form and revert to old habits. Since I am not training for competition and I'm not in any rush to reach full potential I am going to restart LP and work back up with strict form. The first video is just one rep at 275. The second shows 5 sets at 225. Thanks again for your help.

SQ 275 X 1 - YouTube
    SQ 225 X 5 1 23 - YouTube