starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form Question and Video

Default Deadlift form Question and Video

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was progressing nicely in my deadlift up until 310. I then started watching some of the videos on the site and this forum about hips being high so I started to focus on that. I find that it feels almost like a Romanian deadlift and I cannot lift nearly as much with my hips high. The videos below show 2 reps at 315 and 3 at 275. I am not sure if I should drop way down to correct this or just proceed to do what was working before. Maybe the videos will provide some context.

50 Yrs old
    185 lbs

DL 315 1.13.21 - YouTube

Deadlift 275 1.13.21 - YouTube

I'm not a coach, but I'm pretty sure the second video isn't a deadlift.

Hey Romo
    Narrow your stance so your feet are under your hips.
    Then get your shins on the bar before you start trying to set your back. Steps are a little out of order here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I'm not a coach, but I'm pretty sure the second video isn't a deadlift.
    Sorry about that. Mixed up the names

Thank you Pete. This was super helpful. I went back in this morning just to try it out even though I did DL’s yesterday. Using your advice I worked straight up to 315 and it felt great. I’m certain that my back was locked out better too. Unfortunately I was taking a call so I couldn’t get a video. I only did one rep because I did just did my work set yesterday. I will video the full set next week and post it. Thank you for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is a video from my next deadlift workout. I was only able to get 4 at 315, but it definitely felt better and safer. Looking at the video I'm not so sure my back was fully set and I did drop my hips a bit on the first rep. Should I be looking to actually start the pull in full back extension with the expectation that it will straighten out as a pull, rather than start with it straight and have it end up in slight flexion? Thanks again for your help

DL 315 X 4 - YouTube