starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check with c-section scar pain and incontinence

Default Squat check with c-section scar pain and incontinence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you in advance for evaluation of my squat technique. I will do my best to improve with the feedback.

Here is my 5th and final squat set at 200lbs

I had switched to 5 sets of 3 at 195lbs. I am a 33yo female, 5'1 3/4" at 145.6lbs.

I am experiencing sharp "digging" pain under my c-section scar on the left side that travels about an inch down into my pubis region. I am 16.5 months postpartum. The pain occurs while performing the first part of the ascent, and disappears when I'm not lifting. I originally started noticing this pain in my deadlift when I got up to 200-205lbs, but only today experienced it in my squat as well. I also experienced urinary incontinence on the last squat rep in my 4th set, so in this final set, I tried to cue myself to push my knees out more on the way down, and keep my abs tighter.

I have a history of lifting with SS, initially back in 2007-2008 after reading the 1st edition (waaaaay back), and had life-changing strength improvements thanks to it. However, this is the heaviest squat I have ever done in about 7-8 year, and definitely haven't touched these weights since getting pregnant in December 2018.

(Yes, I need WL shoes and have ordered them)
    (Yes, I am in a rec center where gloves are required. Gotta love COVID).

Just curious, if you push on the scar, is there pain, but slight relief? Not a doctor, but I imagine there is scar tissue that might benefit from the pressure to break it up. At least you aren't wearing padded gloves.

Hey Max
    You could narrow your stance a little and turn the left toe out.
    Does it bother you when you're not wearing a belt? Have you tried the belt a hole looser?

A little coaching wouldn't hurt--perhaps consider throwing everyone in the car and making a day trip to Wichita Falls!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Just curious, if you push on the scar, is there pain, but slight relief? Not a doctor, but I imagine there is scar tissue that might benefit from the pressure to break it up. At least you aren't wearing padded gloves.
    Not as much as I used to. I have done some scar mobilization and it's helped. I'm sure there are complications since I developed a seroma after the surgery, had it bleed through a week postpartum, and had to be reopened (with no pain meds) in order to get it stitched back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Max
    You could narrow your stance a little and turn the left toe out.
    Does it bother you when you're not wearing a belt? Have you tried the belt a hole looser?
    Thank you for the feedback on the stance.
    I have not attempted that weight without a belt, although I am able to do at lighter weights (150-160) with no symptoms. The belt does does feel snug but when I go a hole looser, I feel like I push out too much on my abdominal cavity. I only started noticing symptoms when my deadlift reached above 200lbs, and then when my squat finally reached 200.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    A little coaching wouldn't hurt--perhaps consider throwing everyone in the car and making a day trip to Wichita Falls!
    Absolutely, in-person coaching would always be better than none.

starting strength coach development program
    I've worked my way back up to #205 to adjust for the change in stance width, toe angle, loosening the belt by a hole, and now using weightlifting shoes. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback earlier.

And the link HERE just in case.

I have minimal symptoms versus before in the earlier squat session, other than some referring burn pain that I think is due to the nerve being binded in scar tissue. I plan on seeing a pelvic floor PT to address that.

I kept thinking that I wasn't getting low enough but was surprised to see that I am actually going well below parallel. Is it too low or is the hip drive going up still effective?