starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please (first low-bar squat post)

Default Squat form check please (first low-bar squat post)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

So this is my first Low-bar Squat form check request. I started my lifting journey doing high-bar squats, and later came across SS. So right now, my high-bar squat is at 225 lbs. And today is the second day of doing low-bar squats. I noticed a couple of things:

(1) My movement (both ascent and descent) is quite shaky. And it doesn't look consistent across every rep. It is much smoother when I do high-bar. I guess this will improve as I continue?
    (2) I may be breaking at my hips before my knees trying to sit back. Also my knees are too vertical?
    (3) My wrists were and are hurting so bad.
    (4) My head was spinning after the squats. It wasn't from lack of sleep or food or anything. Those things were all the same today.

Set 1 (165 lbs) 45 degree back angle

Set 2 (165 lbs) side angle

Sorry for recording the video from a lower height. There was absolutely nothing I could do. Video recording is not permitted in the gym and they would kick me out if they caught me. I had to make sure my phone was hidden from the staff.

You have a bunch of things to work on here:

1) Those shoes aren't doing you any favors. Buy a pair of lifting shoes.
    2) As you descend, yes you need to break your hips and knees at the same time. Get your knees forward sooner.
    3) Resist the urge to pull your chest up/arch your back as you descend. Tight abs when you start and keep your back flat.
    4) About halfway down, your knees don't go forward anymore. Be prepared to then just reach back with your butt.
    5) Keep your head down the entire time looking at a spot on the ground about 5' in front of you. Drive up with your butt, don't pull up with your head on the way up.

Hello Hayden,

Thanks for the feedback. Shoes are on the way! For number (3) Is my back rounding? I tried so hard to not let it round ... Oh and any idea on the wrist pain issue? I tried to keep my wrists straight but over the reps the bar kept coming down.

Your back is not rounding because you are aggressively arching it (pulling your chest up). Focus on keeping it flat as opposed to assuming it will round.

The low bar position is often painful for people when they first start using it. Try to keep your wrists straight. Work on that and cycle in some low bar stretches (Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube). If you need relief in the short term as you develop the flexibility you can try adjusting your grip width a bit wider and/or wrapping thumbs around the bar. But be sure to train fingers over with straight wrists using the low bar stretch video.