starting strength gym

Thread: Squats too deep

Default Squats too deep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When I was doing these, they actually felt kind of high. Boy, was I wrong. What do I have to think about in order to bounce right up when I'm just below parallel? That low bottom position feels like the right time when the stretch reflex kicks in, but I'm just realizing it's way too deep.

If I don't squat that deep, it will feel too high. I'm aware it's probably because I'm using lumbar flexion to achieve that depth. However, if I stop higher I get the sensation that I'm off balance.

In the past I used a wider stance (despite the SS model) and managed to bounce back just below parallel. Fast forward, I got the covid and spent some time in quarantine. Getting back to the gym now, I decided to use a shoulder width stance as per the model, and started going crazy deep.

Should I intentionally think about squatting high in order to cut off some of the ineffective depth? Thanks.

form check - YouTube

Your issues are starting from the fact that you are leaning over halfway through the descent. Your back starts vertical, then it looks like you consciously lean over.

Lean over sooner.

Satch,

I had some pretty ugly knee slide due to breaking at the hips first in the past. At that time, I was thinking about leaning over as soon as I began the descent. In order to fix it, I cued myself "knees first, then sit back", as to set the knees early halfway into the descent, then send my hips back. Thanks for your input.

Knees and hips start together.

Heels at shoulder width is where we start but might vary a bit based on your specific anthropometry. The bounce comes from an anatomical limit of the hamstrings and adductors bottoming out so that needs to happen without bouncing your ass on the ground.

Rotate the camera about 45 degrees posterior, so we can see what’s happening and post another video.

form check 2 - YouTube
    Rip, are these fine? I added 5lbs and they felt lighter than last time. Tried to stop higher as well. Bar looks over midfoot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razv1908 View Post
    form check 2 - YouTube
    Rip, are these fine? I added 5lbs and they felt lighter than last time. Tried to stop higher as well. Bar looks over midfoot to me.
    You are bending your knees before your hips. Lean over at the same time as you bend your knees (right away). Pausing a bit more between reps and slowing down the start will help. Also, set your gaze on the floor before starting each rep. Depth is still too much. Aim for hip crease just below the knee.

Thanks coach.
    form check 3 - YouTube

It seems to me that I'm breaking simultaneously at the knees and hips now. First rep looks good, then I'm fucking up depth again. I thought about "knees out, butt back and stop high". Didn't really manage the last part, but my guess is with practice I'll stop with the crease of the hips just below the top of the knee.

You will get a better picture of your depth if you film from about hip height instead of off the floor. I think you'll have an easier time calibrating your proprioceptive feedback if you do that.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. Will do