starting strength gym

Thread: Tilted hips ( Chris, Fredericksburg, VA)

Default Tilted hips ( Chris, Fredericksburg, VA)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, I was wondering if you had any idea on why my hips keep getting out of alignment from squatting and deadlifting. I have been powerlifting for 8 years at the 148 pound weight class. My best lifts in competition are a 430 squat, 308 bench, and a 545 deadlift. Throughout the 8 years I have had on and off back issues that have held me back in the sport. The injury comes on at random and has happened while squatting and deadlifting about twice a year. The pain starts as a Jolting pain in my sacrum and goes down my leg or legs. I can’t touch my knees for about two days after it happens. It then gets better day by day when I rest it. I have went to massage therapists and chiropractor’s. They all say my hips become tilted from heavy lifting which causes pain to my lower back. They can never seem to permanently fix it or know exactly what I need to change. My powerlifting coaches are not aware of any flaws. This first time it happened I was deadlifting a lighter amount, approximately 60% of my 1 rep max at the time. Any incite would be appreciated.

Chris

Video?

Default Tilted hips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?
    I just got a new phone, so these are older videos that show me lifting maximal weight in competition. Not sure if the angles with show anything. I have tried to point my chest to the ground in recent months since listening to your pod casts. However, the injury reoccured again about a month ago.

Chris Ferranti 540 Deadlift. - YouTube

PA Nationals June 2013 413 squat. - YouTube

I appreciate you taking the time to address my unanswered problem.

I see no tilted hips, just a kid who needs to go up 2 weight classes immediately.

Okay thanks. I am sitting at 167 right now at 5’4. I completely agree with going up to a higher weight class. I plan on competing again sometime this year. If my hips do not look tilted, do you have any idea what could be causing my hips to not be out of alignment?

I see nothing "out of alignment."

starting strength coach development program
    Okay. Thank you for taking the time to review my question. Maybe my next step is an MRI to find out why this back injury keeps occurring.