starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and bench press - form check

Default Squat and bench press - form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There´s something hurting my left shoulder joint everytime I get heavy (few months ago). I´ve been trying to change my grip on the squat. And also trying to get my bench press to correct form. I´m not sure wich lift I did wrong to hurt my shoulder I think it´s one of the two, or it´s the bench press or it´s the way I´m holding the bar in the squat. I´ve just changed my bench for a 10'' one, my previous one was 12''.

I´ll start on the bench, this is the last set of 5:

This is the first set from other angle:

On the squat, I was holding the bar like this:

Now I´m doing this:

I know it´s not as heavy I as should be, I´m trying to get my form right before increasing weight on the bar, because everytime my NLP starts to get funny and heavy, I hurt something (left shoulder and lower back, in this order). And then I have to start over .

I would be happy with any feedback corretions of form, even with no relation with my shoulder hurting. About the press: I don´t think there´s any issue with my press, to me they seem to be in perfect form, but I´ll post later just to be sure.

Personal detais: I´m 5'11'', 200 lbs, 36 years old. Eating 3600kcal, 280prot. I´ll increase some bw soon and will get 4500kcal until I reach 220ish.

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums.

Sorry, I thought they were at least parallel, now I know!
    Thank you for the cue, Rip! I´ll work on that

The fact that you are squatting at the same depth at 242 vs 321 tells me your depth is not a strength issue. Depth is hard to figure out and takes a lot of practice but the definition of depth is not very complicated, hip crease just below patella. You seem fairly strong and the rest of your form is pretty solid. I would just focus on hitting depth as described in the BB and work your way up.

If you widen your stance just an inch or two and focus on shoving your knees out I think that might help with your depth.

Thanks for the feedback Adam!

In relation to my squat grip, I did some research on SS youtube channel and I´ve set a list of videos to see before I squat:

The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Fixing the Squat Grip - Starting Strength Seminar - YouTube

Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube

And I think it got the depth better now, but not as deep as I´ve seen someone doing, should I go deeper next time? The grip I changed to look like the second video (I guess I was with my elbows up while they should be down).

starting strength coach development program
    Depth is better, but not quite there on some reps. Take a slightly wider stance, shove your knees out harder from the start and lean over more from the start.