starting strength gym

Thread: Form Checks

Post Form Checks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat form check

Comments from last post were to get proper shoes, lean over more and drive hips
    I know the hip drive still isnt there have been focusing more on leaning over/getting position right

Deadlift form check

First deadlift form check

Squat - toes out more, knees out more, chest down more - and I would adjust your gaze to look down more

DL - wear the shoes for DL also. You hips are too low in the start position. Keep them up. Also stand taller at the top in lockout

I’m going to disagree on the ‘chest down’ critique. That would loosen things up and loose is bad. Your back angle looks good but start your knees and hips together. You’re sticking your butt out first and it’s putting the weight on your heels and therefore not the middle of your foot.

Your deadlift starts quite far forward of the mid foot causing efficiency issues. The problem is in the setup. Line up 1 inch from the bar and grab the bar without moving the bar. Bring your shins in so they touch the bar without moving it. Keep your hips up. They will be higher than you want. Extended your back, look about 15’ in front and push the floor away.

For a visual aid I recommend these two videos.

Squat
    Learning to Squat | The Starting Strength Method - YouTube

Deadlift
    Learning to Deadlift | The Starting Strength Method - YouTube

Thanks Ryan

Look at his knees, every rep starts wrong.

AS my coach would say, you need to drive your knees forward, shins towards feet....use a TUBOW. You are setting your knees over your heels and sitting back when you need to drive your knees forward more and also break at the hips and sit back at the same time.

starting strength coach development program
    I was previously told I was doing a high bar squat in a low bar position and needed to lean forward more. I practiced form at home using TUBOW thinking the more space between my knee and the board the better. I thought the purpose of this was to highlight knees being too far forward. I missed the point that my knee needed to contact the board and stay there for the remainder of the squat. Thanks all for your feedback.