starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, lack of spinal control

Default Squat form check, lack of spinal control

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I'm a 27 yo male, 195 lbs. I would appreciate some input on my squat technique.

I'm currently doing triples in my intermediate program and noticed that my back was rounding quite a bit, especially at heavier weights. I tried to manage it by cueing myself to lead with the chest on the way up to keep my throracic extended, it seems to help a little. (I also fail to keep my knees out on the way up apparently). What do you think ? I have been struggling with my squat for a long time, I would appreciate your advice, thanks.

Here's the last set of the workout, rounding on the 2nd and 3rd rep.
    Squat 150kgx3 - YouTube

Is that as narrow as you can get your grip?

You said that this happens especially at heavier weights. Is there any weight that you're able to maintain thoracic extension?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Lumbar is flexing too.

I could get my grip tighter indeed, I intially widened it because I would get elbow pain after squatting. It's gone now.
    Regarding thoracic/lumbar flexion, I recorded a light day set at a lower weight, you'll be the judge. Do you think I should restart around this weight and build back up again with corrections ?

light day squat 130 kg x 5 - YouTube

These look better than what you originally posted.

This is a control problem, and if you can maintain a tight trunk with a flat lumbar and extended thoracic, you should be able to continue adding weight. But you may find at heavy weight, you can't integrate the needed changes that you can at lighter weights. I bet you could be yelled into correct back control even with heavy weight, but on your own, it might be tough.

On the original post, your knees are caving in - keep them pushed out.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the response. I added a bit of weight and narrowed the grip. Maybe it looks a little better but I feel like whenever I get fatigued through the set, I just fail to keep my back rigid and the movement by default comes back.
    squat 152.5 kg x 3 - YouTube

However on my light day, it's still holding up well I think.
    light squat 132 kg x 5 - YouTube

Do you think I can still push my heavy day up and adjust during the process ? (I'm not trying to find an excuse to lift light weights )