starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with squat grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thumbs need to be resting on top of the bar, other fingers hooked around it. Bar looks a touch high in the rack. Why are you taking the bar in and out of the hooks during set up ? Is it because you aren’t confident about the position on your back ?

Yeah, I'm used to testing the weight so that it's balanced on my back. I'm very asymmetrical thanks to the busted elbow.

I'll try lowering the bar a bit in the rack and see how it feels, I do agree it is a bit high but then again on this specific rack one pin lower is a bit low... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka Korolainen View Post
    Yeah, I'm used to testing the weight so that it's balanced on my back. I'm very asymmetrical thanks to the busted elbow.

I'll try lowering the bar a bit in the rack and see how it feels, I do agree it is a bit high but then again on this specific rack one pin lower is a bit low... Thanks
    One of the problems with having a mirror is the habit of setting up visually. Cover the mirror and get familiar with the feel of being in the correct position. It’s a bit like learning guitar and always looking to see where your fingers are on the frets. It becomes habituated and never becomes fully trained in. I also have some asymmetry and the mirror was messing up my set up. Yeah, don’t sweat the height of the hooks if you are comfortable. If it’s coming off cleanly without having to stretch the calves then it’s good, it could be just the camera angle.

Thanks for the tips Nockian!

.p

So here's a picture: on the left how I grab the bar, and on the right after wiggling myself under the bar and doing a rep.

https://snipboard.io/G3q7Rn.jpg

If I don't rotate the wrist a bit (raise the thumb from the bar and get some room between the index finger and the bar) I get no support from the radius and the position is very uncomfortable (in like "I'm actually going to injure myself here") for the wrist.

If I go more narrow from here (there's about 80cm/31inches between my hands) I can get the bar to stay right next to the spine of the scapula but this is painful as the bar is pressing on the left spine.

If I try to keep my hand around the bar like on the left, my wrist will be very bent and there is no support from the arm bones, not at all comfortable.

Any additional tips or insights for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka Korolainen View Post
    If I try to keep my hand around the bar like on the left, my wrist will be very bent and there is no support from the arm bones, not at all comfortable.
    Why would it be very bent if you leave it like it is on the left side? Do you mean that the wrist bends as you get under the bar?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Let me just bypass your questions Andrew and continue with a few fresh videos :-)

Took a couple of extra days off since the last session, one of the reasons was that my upper arms got quite sore during the last session. This time getting under the bar for the first time was the worst, I think it's the anterior side of the delts that are really sore when going under the bar, might be a part of the biceps or brachialis or even the triceps, I dunno. They do mellow after a few rounds and the going gets easier but they do feel a bit sore now that it's a couple of hours after the squats.

I worked up in 10 kilo jumps to 90kg and did 3x5x90, here's the second set from two angles:
    Closeup: - YouTube
    Back 45: sqgripfahves(2) - YouTube

Third set:
    Back 45: sqgripfahves(3) - YouTube

The mirror helped with the setup so much that when I at first tried setting up without it, it was a mess. I removed it for the final set and I think my grip was better in the second set. I wanted to show the second set also as that to me LOOKS like it I had the best grip there, even though the third set didn't feel any different. The squats themselves felt a bit all over the place, I was focusing on keeping the grip tight.

In the first work set my left wrist was quite bent. Noticed that when checking the footage and focused on that for the second set and it seemed to clear up.
    If you're interested, here's the first work set:
    Back 45: https://youtu.be/gDeTFIUyuS4?t=13

If it does make any difference, the markings on the bar are about 83cm (a bit under 33 inches) apart and my pinkies are on these marks.

Felt like I could've gone a bunch higher with the weight too, just wanted to make a check first before slapping on more weight.

None of the close up videos are set to public.

These are kind of all over the place, but they're mostly good. Some of them, you need to bend over more right away. Some, you need to set your knees forward right away.

Slowing down will help.

I don't see anything with your grip or technique that would indicate something is causing shoulder pain. Maybe someone else sees something here I don't.
    I'd almost want to look at bar position the way you describe the pain, but the black shirt and angle aren't helpful.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Eh, sorry, I was wondering why the closeups were opaque in my listing. Obviously showed them totally fine for me. Should be fixed now.

I think the shoulder pain is just 'cos of inflexibility. I gave the sore parts a little rub and took some ibuprofen last night and they feel fine now this morning. Also didn't have any issues with elbow or wrist pain yesterday nor this morning, so I'm thinking I was just too inflexible before and I'm getting stretched out now.

starting strength coach development program
    Everything felt better than last time.

Takes a while to warm up and stretch out, but this is where I got with 3x5x92.5 worksets. With the 90x3 warmup and the work sets felt considerable pressure where the thumb-side of the palm meets the bar, uncomfortable but not painful. Feels like I could go a finger or two narrower from here but didn't want to start messing with the grip when there was already 90kg on the bar.

Set 1, closeup:
    sqgrip92.5(3) - YouTube

Set 3, back 45:
    Sharsqgrip - YouTube

Anything to work on here?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast